Shoes

I misguidedly bought some for PE in 2005 or something? They were something like £19.99 and my mum said they were cool. My teacher took the piss but nobody else ever knew what they were.

92 era Rad, or maybe Phat magazine, featured them when everybody was rocking Gazelles and Puma Clydes. I think the DC Evan Smiths and a couple of pairs of Hufs with the rubber toe cap are loosely based on them.

BTW, if you have kids, the Evan Smith shoes last ages because of that rubber toe.

1 Like

I’ve actually got a pair of those Evan Smiths as chillers. They’re really comfortable as it goes.

Went to a Harrow skatepark demo after one of the Radlands contest, possible 94 (?), and Kelly Bird was riding for Real at the time and rocking a pair of Green Flash, that he’d clearly bought since being in England.

1 Like

i remember sean sheffey at radlands wearing some hi-tec badmintons.
again, clearly just purchased.

My only memory of him at Radlands was when he went full Sheffey. Skating around with 2 or 3 hats on a pair of DVS hanging around his neck, while he switch taildropped off the guard rail into the big flat bank and then switch flip the driveway.

4 Likes

Saw him there in '99, skating in walking boots with a big backpack, drinking a 3-litre bottle of Ice White cider

3 Likes

I remember that. Also, he wasn’t pleased to see people stood on the course during Donny Barley’s run. He grabbed about 5 dudes at once and physically dragged them off to the side.

1 Like

My uncle reckons in the 70s green flash were genuinely cool. Saxondale wears them too.

1 Like

and Sean Goff…

2 Likes

One of my mates always has them, under some allusion that they are retro cool. I have no idea, they might be in some odd circles.

I think they were seen as cool in that sense…about 10 years ago!

Around this time I had some brown ones with fat brown laces - CMOAC.
Nearly impulse bought a regs green pair quite recently, but felt differently after a few minutes.

I’m fairly sure I ‘heard’ (read / saw an insta post) that he bulk bought a load to make sure he could still wear them if they stopped making them?

Maybe it was just where I grew up but Green Flash were for kids who couldn’t afford Hi-Tec? Something your teacher would wear on a school outing.

2 Likes

Interesting opinion.

Green Flash were part of my school uniform at a Private School, I presumed most people there could afford Hi-Tec ahah.

Wouldn’t surprise me, the Dunlop fam are private school kids on Made In Chelsea these days.

1 Like

Without turning this thread into a Python sketch… When I was at school Green Flash & Hi-Tech Squash were the jazzy / rich kid option. We had these beauties…

The Marbot 1328. :ok_hand:

Fuck me what is holding those together!

1 Like

Hahaha! Who knows. Gloy?

2 Likes