Skate spots you’ve known and loved which are no longer there.

always wanted to skate a supermarket without getting kicked out. i can’t walk around one even now without picturing throwing down and popping some tricks

There was an empty branch of
International in Weymouth in the late 80’s that had closed down and had been boarded up. That became skateable for a few months. It was pretty much empty but some fixtures and fittings were left there so they got used as obstacles and a few floor panels were prised up for gaps and kickers. Those holes were great for hiding in whenever the cops or security came about looking for intruders. It obviously didn’t last too long and was secured properly in the end and that was the end of that spot.

Also used to skate an abandoned hospital for a bit too, but that got too sketchy on the bust front to keep risking it, but it was a novelty for a bit. Ahh, the days before CCTV and private security eh.

There was an old factory building in Notts too with 2 sides taken down.
There were a few pics in Sidewalk from some sessions there.
The factory was called Stage.

1 Like

I skated Broadmarsh on a trip to Nottingham and that place wasn’t as easy to skate as it looked.

I always wanted to skate those Droitwich banks - they were those transitioned brick banks in a kind of shopping centre square, right? I think I first saw them in BMX Action Bike or an early R.A.D. mag*, they looked unbelievably good.

*same goes for Aston banks - probably a BMX photo.

1 Like

Proper fun though.

2 Likes

Broardmarsh was amazing, so hard to skate, most of it was unskateable after 95ish(?)
I could do tricks over the hips but just a big ollie from a local trumps any trick, it’s so hard to get decent loft. Miss that place though, the old Market Square too.

2 Likes

Horseferry Road Magistrates court marble ledges and steps!

2 Likes

St Paul’s Churchyard, Shell Centre, birdshit Banks, Crawley wooden Skatepark.
Think I’ll watch an old Panic/Blueprint vid lol

3 Likes

The spine ramp at the Crawley park was super good…had a bunch of fun on that thing.

1 Like

for anyone unfamiliar (and they were before my time)

Aston Banks

3 Likes

Ditto 1 and 2 - never skated Aston Banks sadly.
My brother and I once skated a derelict rollerdisco rink in Doncaster that had been featured in Skateboard! The pipes underneath the wooden floor had burst so the flooring had warped, making it into an amazing mogul park.

Also - original Market Square in Nottingham - that place was so amazing to skate.

Hinksey Pool in Oxford - shout to you Neddy

3 Likes

Man! Pretty sure I only got to skate them once. Birmingham and Nottingham, loved them both, really lucky having them either side of us.

Also T&A banks in Bradford.
Similar to Droitwich - basically a natural skatepark.

3 Likes

I’d have liked to have more time on Rotherham banks before I went shit.

1 Like

this thread has directly led me to watch Chillin’ for the first time in at least a decade.

Two spots I’ll add - Central Library and TV in Brum (though the later is having a slight re-emergence as they’ve recently put in some nice, non skatestopped concrete benches)

3 Likes

Since there’s a snoz photo.

The Ripped skatepark that he built was absolutely fantastic.

2 Likes

3 Likes

@anonymity you got any footage from those all nighters at The Ripped?

Went to a few of those, amazing.

2 Likes

I remember at school reading a sidewalk surfer about the death of rehab skatepark it was very well written and a nice obituary for a skatepark. Maybe someone has that issue.

1 Like

Rehab skatepark?