Skateboarding and the modern Industry

Thanks for the suggestion Voodz.

Have at it, nerds

4 Likes

don’t forget to like and subscribe - and click the bell for notifications as soon as new content is uploaded

6 Likes

can anyone be arsed to copy paste the stoked drivel in here?

You can do it, meanwhile I’ll unsubscribe, and go back to the stoked thread to talk about this wicked new chair I bought

there’s another similar topic from a month or so back as well - is there a merge threads @admin ?

YOU MEAN TO SAY THERE WAS ANOTHER TOPIC ALL ALONG???

1 Like

OK, now let’s get into it!

it was totally my fault in the stoked thread, Wally had total rights to be stoked on his mate. I used it to outline a gripe.

Are you bringing the stoked thread in to here now? My cross thread OCD can’t handle this any more!!!

Shit, soz. :wink:

1 Like

Just messing mate.

1 Like

Great thread so far

3 Likes

I find Revive/Braille (what’s the difference?) lack image. I mean, lets face it, skateboards aren’t that different from each other, so image is what separates skate companies the most for me. Girl, Chocolate, Primitive, REAL, Polar, Alien Workshop. We know where they’re coming from. Revive seems to be, we’re novelty click bait and we’re aimed at the young market, but other than that, I don’t see what their image is. Can anyone see it?
The riders may have been flow on other teams, but there is NO WAY they are skilled enough on skateboards to represent them professionally. To say that they have a big online following and therefore a justified to put their name on a board means that anyone with a large online presence could be pro, because they are cool, and nothing but cool.
Look at what happened to Alien Workshop. They chased the demographic with the Tiny Horse and Meaty dog boards. It’s a race to the bottom. I guess we just have to see how far they sink!

2 Likes

One post and Chas gets it. Although there is nothing to get, to me it seems just common sense! but when people profit from something/opinion that is inferior, common sense goes out the window.

You keep making it about skill. It doesn’t matter when the issue is subjective.

Think of it in reverse, how many people now dislike Koston due to him being a dick on social media? He’s still possibly the best ever but his legacy has been sullied.

These kids are buying into reasonably skilled skaters with personalities they like. That’s all there is to it.

When I was talking about the YouTube brands in the nine club thread, my point was that they get a lot of people into skateboarding. If some of those people go on to be proper skaters who buy from “legit” brands then surely that’s a good thing?

I mean C*nt, when you go skating do you only hang out with the best or do you do it with people you like?

Outside of competition there are no winners or losers (cue joke about them defo being losers) so is it so surprising a brand has been successful with a business model that represents the reality of skateboarding - liking people you like?

I didn’t say it was all about skill. That’s just part of it. There’s a lack of substance/image which doesn’t sit well with me, and that high social numbers = entry to professional skateboarding. I guess it goes back to the original point about the price of a blowjob, but the price isn’t just the money paid.

PS, @WallyBazoum I know you are playing devil’s advocate, so we’re all good here.

2 Likes

Not skill, it’s level. It’s the je ne sais quoi, the reason why people just have what they have. John Hill, Giger, Kyro, are good but they don’t have it. they are decent enough to be better than the average skater that will always have to buy product, they are relateable, that’s why they are successful on YT, nothing more. They have their place and they are legitimate skateboarders in anyones eyes, this is not the issue. And you say “why shouldn’t they be pro”? because pro is a special place for the ultra gifted in what they do in order to show skateboarding in the best light… to sell skateboards.
And don’t get gifted mixed up with the best.

That’s not the issue, I know my place as a skateboarder, and even back when I was quite good, I knew I was a hometown hero level that would never have more than a shop, small brand hookup. I’m realistic, and If I started a brand, i’d not put my name on a board. relatable is different to the ones we aspire to. We aspire to be pro but we skate with friends. It’s the reality of the pyramid of skateboard heirarchy.
It’s unspoken but it’s there and it keeps the quality bar at the level it needs.