Skateboarding books

Can anyone recommend any decent skateboarding books, not really into reading but stuff to do with my interests I enjoy reading. Any good autobiographies or anything from skaters.

I really enjoyed this.

I’ve read it a few times. It’s worth picking up a copy for sure.

1 Like

I also liked the Rodney Mullen autobiog.

The Mutt: How to skateboard and not kill yourself
Is that the Rodney Mullen one?

1 Like

Yeah, that’s the one. I enjoyed it, interesting insight into his obsessive mind.

When I was round my friend’s I was reading his Long Love Southbank book and that’s well worth a read I think. More of a coffee table book but has the history of Southbank.

A less well known book is one by Gayton Hagglund called Inglewood skate rats. He was a pro filmer and it’s a pretty good read about the late 90s/early 2000s in California.

1 Like

This one looks good too.

1 Like

like a book, but skinnier

7 Likes

Yep, I liked it.

I’ve also picked up the Kyle Beachy one above, but that’s to go after I’ve read the Jocko Weyland one. I’m not a huge reader and tend to buy picture books for skating.

1 Like

If you’re interested in books written by people that have themselves read over 100 books, can I recommend Scott Bourne?

3 Likes

Have you read ‘A room with no windows’?

i liked bits of the Jocko Weyland one.
curious about the Kyle Beachy - he had some bits published in Free that i enjoyed.

again, bits of both ‘Life and Limb’

and Raphaël Zarka’s ‘On a Day With No Waves’
are excellent.

massive shout to @anon28148673 's book
https://instagram.com/misspelt_yoof?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

and ‘Skateboarding is a Not a Book’ is the absolute best. GHills forever

1 Like

These are kind of at the opposite ends of the spectrum but both great in their own way.

3 Likes

2 Likes

I was stoked on this when I got it 43 years ago. Its relevance has probably slipped a little in the meantime.

6 Likes

Not heard of this. Just ordered a copy. Cheers.

Also, the Goodreads mention of Barbarian Days* in their review of The Most Fun Thing by Kyle Beachy was the kick that I needed to get me to order that too as I enjoyed that.

• surf memoir by William Finnegan - can recommend.
1 Like

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Impossible-Sheckler-Fantastic-History-Skateboarding/dp/0762770260

:joy::joy:
Strong memory lolz

1 Like

My copy of 1,000 skateboards (English version) turned up, does what it says on the tin with little pieces about skateboarding here and there (the start of skating, style, ect).

I also found this second hand copy of New Skateboard Graphics for £3.60 with free P&P! As the spine is slightly damaged. £3.60! I expected it to be small and about 70 pages full of board companies like Plan-B with the same graphics just different colours for each pro, ect… but it must be a bit older than I thought and is big with some nice graphics.

9 Likes

Just had an email to say Evri now have mine.

Edit: I now have mine!

4 Likes

First impression = :heart_eyes: