skateboarding films

hey could you recommend some skateboarding films or documentaries or footage dvds to watch. some of the ones i have are… all this mayhem, skate kitchen, ban this, kids, waiting for lightning, thrashin etc… and odd some odd short dvds that came with magazine’s which show street or vert stuff and the lifestyle of the skaters. if you could recommend some more that would be cool thanks. i did see in a thrasher magazine interview that a couple of skaters were liking ‘mind field’ i’ve not seen that one anywhere yet, but would like to see what that’s all about.

3 Likes
2 Likes

There’s this one (UK based) on Amazon Prime if you have that

This if you can stomach the cringe

Big fan of this one

1 Like

Southbank/UK focused one

4 Likes

Also, welcome to the forum mate @gazster1983

4 Likes

Here’s a Canadian (French) one from 1966.
Bit of controversy about this one as the director Claude Jutra went on to be accused of sexual impropriety years later.
Interesting time capsule though

2 Likes

New York Skate history doc here.
(Not sure if it’s online in full but worth a watch. Narrated by Chloe Sevigny)

1 Like

that’s just a regular (but exceptionally good) skate video rather than a film.

2 Likes

Hello.

Another vote for Man Who Souled The World.

There’s a documentary on ‘The L.A. Boys’ that I remember quite liking when I saw it.

Actually, having just watched the trailer, I think I might have to watch it again.

1 Like

There were 14 ‘re-imaginined’ versions of this made for the 50 year anniversary.
Can’t say I watched them all, but I love this one…

1 Like

I don’t think I’ve ever seen this one, but have always been keen to give it a look.
Added to the Watch Later pile… cheers!.

1 Like

hey thanks for the welcome and suggestions, that will keep me busy for a while lol i don’t skate at the moment but do have a board and it’s very inspiring on the skateboarding group on facebook where they say ‘it’s never to late to skate’ style posts and footage. i’ve always liked skateboarding films and magazines since playing tony hawks pro skater 2 ps1, that started it lol i played the remaster on ps4 and really enjoyed that. i tell you i discovered alot of bands from the tony hawks game soundtracks.

1 Like

I’ll gift you these classic :wink:

2 Likes

i can remember when i was at college and it was around the time they would show wwe heat on channel 4 and at times there would be skateboarding championship footage, i used to love watching that but you don’t see that anymore, luckily i see short footage on facebook and youtube now, which is ideal. i fell off my board back in 2000 and landed on my arm and have a scar still, i think that put me off for ages and like those skateboarding fails and injury videos lol i did have a little go in the garden on the path the other day, i was a bit wobberly but there’s something about skateboarding i can’t shake off, it’s quite fun. i’m 37.

The 1983 part of your username makes me think you’ll be fine but if you want some inspiration (or to be offended by my underestimation of your ability) then you should look up Groans Brigade & Dadlands on Insta.

Tired Skateboards stuff on YouTube too.

3 Likes
2 Likes

Here too:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/u/0/d/1f1zd_RlAQvIdyPlE4FGnjuPUcQ65cZ-B-ttJMKrxq7M/htmlview#gid=1292328596

2 Likes

I’m sure someone with bettr internet skills than me can find the full film, but I liked this one, instantly makes me want to skate

Sad story for all involved (and fuck Gator)

1 Like

cheers so much to check out :+1:

i remember back in the early 2000’s when i would catch the train to plymouth and down by the market on the opposite side there was a bike shop and i’m sure you could go upstairs to a skateboarding shop and back then you could get video vhs of 441vm, they were like £15 ish back, i used to like having a browse around the store, it’s rare to see any skateboarding shops now yeah.