SOTY 2023

That’s just not true at all. Do it with some style and it all matters.

Of course it matters to skaters but Thrasher ain’t looking at SLS wins or where somebody placed at Tampa etc. Surely that’s obvious in the fact they give it no attention at all throughout the year?

No you’re wrong they look at at all if it’s done well. They’ve always taken conests into account if it fits the skater. The obvious thing you’re missing is that there are no rules like that when you do things really well. Yuto simultaneously killing the street and the radio at the same time is exactly the thing they do like. Doesn’t mean they love SLS etc? but of course they pay attention to it.

1 Like

Guess I might be wrong then but I’ve always thought that Thrasher don’t give a fuck about competitions. Maybe they do take podiums into consideration but it really really surprise me if they did.

1 Like

The first guy they ever gave it to was Tony Hawk

1 Like

You’re not wrong that they’re not scanning results/placings at Tampa or whatever but what Yuto is doing not many people can do with that kind of style and that is what separates him.

1 Like

All of Nyjah‘s contest wins have never helped him, hehehe…

I know.

1 Like

I rest my case with the words of Cardiel whilst discussing this very topic " It’s just about the vibes "

2 Likes

Annnnnnnyway……

It feels like it’s been a slower year compared to recent ones with no obvious clear standout. Kinda nice this way!

3 Likes

Agreed. Apologies for being a bell

Woah no bell alarms going off at my end. Good talk!!!

2 Likes

I think the whole thing is pretty different since Jake’s passing and it kind of becoming this well worn planned out path of parts this time of the year.

1 Like

On Delfino, Rye Beres posted this earlier this week:

https://www.instagram.com/p/C0LAATVx1iw/

Looks like Delfino went in but also some gnarly tricks might have gotten away from him.

No one is going for the put-multiple-parts-out-at-once approach like Mason and Suciu, which is good.

2 Likes

Is the Baker video out before Xmas?

Nah Baker has a Deathwish 2 will be next year I think

2 Likes

I like it when you know who it’s gonna be by the summer. GT was like that. The scramble at the end of the year is so undignified.

The only decision that ever upset me was Guy. I think in 2023 he would win it with so much more attention on mental helath/sobriety etc. I know for a fact that Jake didn’t like making a big deal of that stuff and that is part of the reason Davide won.

2 Likes

A lot of people miss that SOTY is not only a decision on output in the preceding year, but also a decision based on the ensuing coverage/things that they can do for the mag.

No one wants a SOTY tour article with a shit crew etc etc.

This year feels like Yuto/Knox/O’Grady are the main contenders.

2 Likes

Rob Pace feels like a possible fourth contender. Santa Cruz and Thrasher have been pretty tight this year too with collab boards etc.

1 Like

Jack O’Grady - August cover

7Ball part

Squish part

Plus appearances in two Pass~Port edits

Knox - Dec cover

440 part

600 mini part

Dickies part

Plus appearances in two Krooked clips and the Istanbul/Bangkok Drift videos

Yuto

Nike SB part

Supreme Paris clip

Bust or Bail Clipper

Cyrus

Johnny’s Vid

HUF vid

Plus appearances in two Limo edits, 7 Ball and Bangkok Drift

Mason Silva

Take a Lap part

HUF part

Spitfire video (w/ Louie & co)

TJ Rogers

Keep Smiling part

eS part

Cold Call

Thrasher canada vacation video

6 Likes

Mason is rad. But he’s not in 2 x SOTY territory.

1 Like