The Book Thread

Got to be honest I also don’t think David Beckham would make a great writer, that’s hardly a criticism as most people wouldn’t either and he obviously got more than his fair share of being really good at something with football. He’d probably be better off working with a writer to tell his story.

Regardless if he’s a good writer or not, his book’s blatantly going to be good because no publisher who’s managed to get a deal with David Beckham is going to put out a shit book.

Unlike whoever published his son, although that wasn’t writing, obviously.

1 Like

I don’t know much about football, to tell the truth. I don’t follow it. Beckham is one of the few ex-footballers whose name I even know. What I was saying is that it’s unusual (but not unheard of) for talented sportspeople to also be talented writers

Like it’s been said, Hawk would of had help and Mullen’s book ‘Mutt’ wasn’t written by him too.

Fair enough but Beckham has won everything at club level and captained his country, so he would actually be one of the best footballers to write a book, if you like that sort of thing.

As you edited your post to point out, he’s got a co-writer. Sean Mortimer is a skateboard writer, by the way. He also co-authored Rodney’s book.

Do you reckon Bez wrote his own book?

It would be interesting to see what Bez would write unaided.
I might read Mullen’s book if he used the same co-writer as Hawk. Anyone here read it?

Yeah me.

I just looked up Sean Mortimer. Seems he’s behind a few skate books. I’ll definitely check him out.

Yes. Several years back now, but I found it as interesting as Tony’s.

Didn’t know Bez had a book out - anyone here read it?

Big question - has Bez read it?

I seem to remember Tony Hawks website having a pretty engaging travel blog before they were ever really a thing.

Sean Mortimer was on Powell video right?

Liked Sean Mortimer on propaganda.

I really like Tony and I believe he’s real modest but that book felt way up it’s own arse, was lust a list of accolades and brags sewn together in a really weak way. But I guess how do you outline that amount success without sounding a bit braggy?

The Mutt was much better, really down to earth and less focussed on what he achieved.

Yes, it’s great. Would have been 1998 or so. Co-written with his wife, but it reads like how he speaks and it’s very well done.

I do know that he wrote about going around Ireland.

3 Likes

With a fridge, if I remember rightly

Apparently Tony Hawks, the writer, gets lots of emails from people who think he’s Tony Hawk. They ask him skate questions and he gives them ‘answers’

He’s even written a book about skating:
61jaEaMaHgL

For more than twenty years, Tony Hawks has been mistaken for Tony Hawk, the American skateboarder. Even though it is abundantly clear on his website that he is an English comedian and author, people still write to him asking the best way to do a kickflip or land a melon.

One mischievous day he started writing back in a pompous tone, goading his correspondents for their spelling mistakes and poor grammar, while offering bogus or downright silly advice on how to improve their skateboarding.

Featuring entries on parents’ pain, disappointment, underachievers, Quorn and the Vatican, this is his A to Z guide to the world of skateboarding, as seen through the eyes of someone who knows absolutely nothing about it.

Fucking punctuation.

1 Like

Check out the trucks on that cover. He’s not lying.

2 Likes