The Computer/Software/Marketing Help Thread

Can someone PC orientated point me to a place to buy a decent all in one PC, i don’t need a machine to take over the world and mine krunk coin, just need it run RIP software for a printer. I trust you guys more than the kid down currys who’s more interested in wanking than selling me something thats not a complete piece of junk. Cheers! xx

Sox messaged me for advice on setting up a website and I had visions of spending hours setting it up for him…but no, he literally sent me a couple of messages and got it up himself in five minutes. I mean, it’s not rocket science but when his initial message included the words “Hi jimo, I heard you can get stuff put up on the google search machine?” I feared the worst.

If you want lessons in Bristol area book Sox I bet it will be well fun.

1 Like

Does the graphics card have much effect on render speed for video editing? I have a pretty good computer that I can easily use Premiere, AFX and Photoshop on all at once, timelines play back mostly without need to render unless there’s some heavy efffects going on. But when I do need to render something it sometimes takes a while. The only bit of my PC that sucks is the graphics card, a GTX 560 Ti that I found in CEX for £25. Would upgrading this help, and if so anyone got any recommendations for something I could buy second hand for say under £100 that would be ok?

1 Like

I have old knowledge of this but yes, a decent graphics card would help rendering massively. Your software probably automatically uses hardware acceleration to help render stuff and the more bollocks your card has the better.

1 Like

Spanky nailed it.

Main thing you’ll notice the difference is with editing itself, as it’ll be easier to view the full quality HD, or 4k footage on the Premiere timeline without buffering or need to render it first. A 560Ti is close to 10 years old now, so upgrading that is probably a good idea. However, pretty much any quality GPU now is ridiculously overpriced, so £100 won’t get you anything useful. Best bet would be to save up for a little longer and get something worthwhile - if you’re into PC gaming, then that will be a big bonus with better refresh rates and smoother gameplay.

1 Like

Thanks both, don’t know if I care enough to spend ££ on it, I don’t use it for gaming at all. Will just keep lurking here while things are rendering for now.

Hi @ciaron and all who have helped.

I’m under the impression this could be a good system (by choosing the right options) - https://www.palicomp.co.uk/amd-adrenalin-fac12

I’ve took on board what you’ve all said and wondering if the options below are okay?
(There are also promos at the very top - not sure if any of those are worth considering?)

AMD RYZEN 7 2700X - 3.7/4.3Ghz Turbo - 8 Core - 16 Threads - NO GRAPHICS : +£44.00

CPU Cooling - not sure what to go with?

ASUS Prime A520M-K A520 Chipset - USB 3.2 - M.2 : +£0.00

32GB DDR4 2666Mhz - ADATA : +£119.98

1 x 480GB KINGSTON A400 SATA3 - 6Gb/s : +£38.40

2 x 1TB SEAGATE SSHD - SATA3, 7200 RPM 6Gb/s + 64MB Cache : +£65.00

SAMSUNG 24X DVD+/-RW Dual Layer & Dual Format : +£30.00

nVIDIA | GeForce RTX 3060 12GB - HDMI-DP - VR Ready : +£0.00

PSU - Not sure what to get?

Internal Wireless (WIFI) Wireless N - 300Mbps : +£30.00

I really need to get this ordered asap so really do appreciate any help/advice.

Again, I don’t really want to build it myself and even more so now time is ticking on. If there are any other prebuilt systems out there, please let me know.

==
Sidenote: Out of interest, what about this from Argos? https://www.argos.co.uk/product/9513608

I ended up getting the below for £1700, needed an extra monitor and speakers which has bumped the price up. Didn’t want to spend this much but now my work computer is on its last legs, so will use this as an all-in-one (along with a laptop and chromebook for emails etc).

Please, if there’s anything obviously wrong, I’d be thankful if you could let me know and thank you for all your help/advice - I’ve taken it all on as much as I could.

==

Case

CORSAIR 175R RGB MID TOWER GAMING CASE

Processor (CPU)

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Eight Core CPU (3.6GHz-4.4GHz/36MB CACHE/AM4)

Motherboard

ASUS® PRIME B550-PLUS (DDR4, USB 3.2, 6Gb/s) - ARGB Ready!

Memory (RAM)

32GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 2400MHz (2 x 16GB)

Graphics Card

8GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3050 - HDMI, DP, LHR

1st M.2 SSD Drive

1TB PCS PCIe M.2 SSD (2200 MB/R, 1500 MB/W)

2nd M.2 SSD Drive

1TB PCS PCIe M.2 SSD (2200 MB/R, 1500 MB/W)

1st Storage Drive

1TB PCS 2.5" SSD, SATA 6 Gb (520MB/R, 470MB/W)

2nd Storage Drive

4TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA SATA-III 3.5" HDD, 6GB/s, 5400RPM, 256MB CACHE

External DVD/BLU-RAY Drive

8x Slim USB 2.0 External DVD-RW

Power Supply

CORSAIR 750W TXm SERIES™ SEMI-MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET

Power Cable

1 x 1.5 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)

Processor Cooling

PCS FrostFlow 120 Series RGB High Performance Liquid Cooler (AMD)

Thermal Paste

STANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING

Sound Card

ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)

Network Card

10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT

Wireless Network Card

WIRELESS 802.11N 300Mbps/2.4GHz PCI-E CARD

USB/Thunderbolt Options

MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS

Firewire

2 Port IEEE 1394a Firewire PCI-E Card (2 x 6 pin)

Operating System

Windows 11 Home 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence [KUK-00003]

Can one of you marketing/office people explain to me vaguely what you do all day at work? I honestly have no idea, I’ve never had an office job. Does someone give you tasks to do? Are you just working towards some end goal? What goes on in that world?

thank you

7 Likes

There’s a lot of leveraging value add synergies between strategically important key business goals, using management information and key performance indicators to sweat the assets while ensuring no cultural alignment suffers as a result. Developing forward thinking approaches to penetrate the verticals and grow market share. That sort of thing.

14 Likes

Business

1 Like

You do all you can to make the company you are working for look appealing and like the sort of thing people would want to spend their money on.

The task is usually “We gotta let people know how good this product is!” and you have to figure out how to do that.

So much of it now seems to be content creation.

1 Like

4 Likes

The key to an office job is to do something that no one else has a clue how to do and pretend it’s way more complicated than it is.

I occasionally look up and wonder what do you actually do at my co-workers and they probably do the same to me.

I have to do a timesheet accounting for how I’ve spent my day up to 15 minute chunks. It’s errr… as accurate as I can make it. I usually do it every Friday and lump lumps of hours on reporting stuff.

And also do a George Costanza (harder to pull off at home unfortunately)

I’m a database administrator (DBA). Thankfully my office days are over as I’m perma wfh now and wouldn’t take a job which wasn’t remote. Not a typical office job to be honest but have seen all of the bullshit over the years :laughing:

Stuff like this. Writing vague, trite Thought Leadership slogans on a whiteboard because it will apparently motivate the salary rats that have been forced back in to the office.

I used to work in this particular office. It was like working in the house on the Apprentice when all 16 of them are still in the competition.

That’s just LinkedIn in 3D.

6 Likes

Wow, I’m feeling energised and motivated!

Just been on LinkedIn and now I feel like I need a wash. The shit that people like.

5 Likes