The Contest Thread

But then skateboarding can be done anywhere by anyone. Snowboarding requires snow

11 year old Ryassa Leal just beat all the established female pros at SLS LA.
Seems like a bit of a watershed moment.

On The guardian and BBC sites. Mental

All the new Japanese women are fucking good too.

2 Likes

Insane!

wait, was it him who was on the old forum keeping everyone up to date with all the goings on? what happened?

watching SLS etc these days I don’t think that’s the case anymore. 90% of stuff gets landed in the big comps these days

Yeah nicfromsidcup … He’d just done his time and needed to concentrate on his shop , daughter etc… Volunteering is amazing but it has a shelf life. He gave a good three years and we wouldn’t be where we are today without his efforts.

I think it will be the park skating that will grab the public attention most as it is more of a ‘spectacle’ I.e.something the spectator can get into. The standard and consistency is really strong and Pedro and the like are bonkers with long runs that go so fast and high, and really flow. You don’t need to understand the technicality of the tricks in the same way as street.

Media will hype up the ‘battle of the 12 year old girls’ with sky GB vs Brazil, I can already picture Claire balding on the BBC sofa going on about it. I wonder if ed Leigh will get the commentary gig or if they will go for skaters?

I’m really interested in the whole Anti-doping part. I’m not talking about skaters getting jacked on roids but more like recreational drugs, ibuprofen etc.

Will the ™ be chaperone to this and really making sure all skaters know what to avoid?

When do you get tested? When you arrive in Tokyo?

Sorry if I’m wasting time, just interests me and scares me at the same time!

Ibuprofen isn’t on the banned list! There’s an app called Global Dro that you can check everything on. You just need to enter the name of the medication and it will tell you the status - banned in competition etc…

Yes, to the TM, although the responsibility sits with the skater if they do dope and get caught. All of the skaters that want to enter any of the qualifiers have to go through an hours online workshop to get their anti doping certificate. As do the staff, Team leaders, coaches etc etc.

You can be tested any time. The Anti Doping Authority in each country follows the rules of the World Anti Doping org… If you place in one of the events, there’s a strong chance you’ll get tested. The testing can also be random at events. If it looks as though you’ll qualify, the you have to tell UKAD where you’ll be at certain times and they can request to test you. If you miss a test then that counts as testing positive.

“Media will hype up the ‘battle of the 12 year old girls’ with sky GB vs Brazil, I can already picture Claire balding on the BBC sofa going on about it.”

Ha, same. I’m working on getting some time with Clare to have a chat about Skateboarding. From what I’ve been told, she’s very keen to learn and she does a considerable amount of research about every sport and all of it’s athletes to try and get it right.

Sky GB Vs Japan also.

Your right it’s not, I remember reading about something common that will test positive, going to have to research this now or I won’t sleep!

Interesting to see CBD oil is OK now in and out of comp.

Anyone want in on an Olympic spec CBD product company?

1 Like

Im thinking the overall effect of the Olympics on skating will be positive, even if the event itself is ‘athletes’ in lycra skin-suits judged by men in blazers with clipboards.
The thing about team sports is that they require some sort of organisation and administration, so players end up getting sucked in to the whole federations, leagues and rules thing.
The thing about skating, by contrast, is that you can just do it as you like. So we can say ‘thank you very much’ for the new facilities paid for by Olympic funding, and then carry on like before.

I think the concern is that because it’s such a clusterfuck of totally uncool organisations (not including Skateboard GB) that the contracts will be given to people who’ll do more harm than good.

1 Like

Yeah, all ‘sports’ in the Olympics have to have some kind of criteria to be judged by. Which can lead to a generation of skaters just sticking to the Olympic rules and judgment on medal winning tricks and runs, that happened in snowboarding. Then you’ll have parents looking for coaches so little Jimmy can become an Olympic skateboarder. So skate coaches will start to come out of the wood work with their skateboarding coaching badges, teaching the bank, rail, bank, hip, big stair set winning run technique.
Kids will only skate in parks homing their three minute runs as this is what skateboarding is now and the only thing the public know, and with in a few generations street skating is all but dead.

1 Like

Just looked at the standings again and saw this:

126 George POOLE GBR 382 0 0 0 382

382 points from Street League London, who the hell is George Poole?!

Think that discussion was on the old forum. Some dude, lives in France I think.

1 Like

Heard the name, but fuck knows where.

That clip of Alex Decunah fighting that old man seems to have been taken down.

I need to know De Tuna’s Dads instahandle.

Question is will Dechuna get a DQ via #waxgate

Actually, can you use wax? Fuck it, Wax the shit out of everything before the Brazilians go so they eat it.

1 Like

@angelicupstart

Like the pub-punk band.

Also there’s no way that’s a Tatchell, he’s all over that side of IG.