The Lazy Twitter Thread

Chubby Checker and The Fat Boys - Doin The Twist

Own money was cassette version of LL cool j ‘mama said knock you out’

Everything else is just too embarrassing

GnR’s The Spaghetti Incident was my first self purchased album.

I’m sure I bought some real shit singles though too.

Self purchased album? Metallica Black album. First cassette owned was, ahem, Chesney hawkes…funnily enough I think both of those came out the same year

Fist album I wanted was micheal Jackson’s bad , grandad gave me the money to buy it for his Xmas present to me.

The next album I bought with my car washing money was jive bunny and the master mixers . Sort of ashamed but actually not as I was learning most of the 50’s tunes on instruments.

Can’t actually remember buying singles as a kid as I was always recording them on tape from the radio 1 chart show on sundays. .

Tho I over played stevie V dirty cash and adamski killer to hell. So probably would have been my first single if I bought any.

1 Like

Run DMC feat. Jason Nevins on cassette for me.

1 Like

Oh yes. My little brother got this and I got Thriller for Xmas one year.

My ‘firsts’ were with my own money - but before that, I had a few bits like MJ…Or a bunch of “Now!” compilations.

I got Bad for Christmas one year. We always got music for presents. My earliest one I remember was Rick Wakeman - Journey to the centre of the earth LP. I was mad about dinosaurs and I loved the film. I still listen to it now. Had a thing for Jarre too so I got his albums on cassette as presents.

1 Like

I think first my single was Soul II Soul - Back to Life

Can’t remember the album, possibly Happy Mondays, or maybe a Deep Heat compilation or something

1 Like

I think the first single I bought myself was Reet Petite by Jackie Wilson. Not the original, obvs, but the 86 reissue with animated plasticine man on the video.

Either that or Barcelona by Freddie Mercury.

Used to tape Shaky, Madness & Chas and Dave records borrowed from the Library before that.

1 Like

My Dad really liked Oxygene - which is one of two albums of his that I actually liked and still listen to today. The other is War Of The Worlds.

3 Likes

My first single was Dougal and the Blue Cat from a village hall jumble sale. The album was Jeff Wayne’s War of the Worlds. I bought that from HMV with a birthday gift record token purely on the strength of the cover art. I distinctly remember my Dad trying his best to dissuade me, Got it home, put it on and it scared the shit out of me. I mean, honest to god terrified me. When you’re really young imagination and reality can be pretty hard to separate. I didn’t know if it had happened, was happening or was going to happen. I couldn’t figure it out. I couldn’t listen to it for years afterwards. Just hearing Richard Burton’s voice and those first few bass notes…aaagh, hide behind the sofa.

5 Likes

This got rinsed when I was a kid. I also lost my voice singing it the first time I went on a skate trip there.

1 Like

The OooooohRaaaaaa bit shit me right up as a kid. Such a good album though

2 Likes

99p from Woolworths in Camberwell in 1980.

10 Likes

Haha!

“Post must be at least 6 characters”

Hahaha!

Same here , my dad would blast that on a Sunday morning/afternoon on the record player . I’ve actually got that vinyl now , used to mix it in with with some house tunes BITD .

Spotify will be rinsed today

2 Likes

Fantastic.

There was a remix album ‘ULLAdubULLA’ released in (checks Google) 2000 that I had high hopes for…

The War Of The Worlds : ULLAdubULLA The Remix Album | Discogs

Unfortunately, it was stinky.

Really stinky.

https://youtu.be/mX2IQ0-zVgk

I remember this on top of the pops.
WOTW was so amazing to me as a child.
Bought it recently on the vinyls and eh, def of its time.

1 Like

Yeah, for some reason I associate it with christmas as my dad would put the soundtrack on.