Tricks that scream 'I'm a good skater'

Last night I did the first ever frontside grind from a drop in, I always do them later. Going frontside off the bat feels weird to me.

You are now sick.

Congrats.

Frontside crookeds, held for a while.
Backside lipslides on blocks (not curbs, blocks)
Backside noseblunts - similar, but different. And way harder.

I think any trick with any sort of body rotation that doesn’t kill the momentum of a line, requiring a push or tic-tac out of it in a line is a pretty good indicator.

I think it’s as simple as how you push.

Short, stubby, uncomfortable looking pushes, where the foot is off the board for the shortest possible time = a bad or, more fairly, inexperienced skater.

Longer pushes, with more time in between, where the skater looks happy having one foot off the board = good or experienced skater

We start getting into some weird territory here. I know a guy that has been skating 20 years, can push well, ollie and kickflip perfectly - and I guess he can do fs tailslides well. Nothing else, though. Literally cannot do another trick.

Is he good? I wouldn’t say so.

True. I guess being a ‘good’ skater and being someone who can ‘ride a skateboard’ comfortably are different things.

I am not a good skateboarder. I can only do about 4 tricks consistently these days. But, I would say if someone saw me pushing down the street or around a park, they could tell I knew how to ride a skateboard

It’s not what you do it’s the way that you do it.

See De Cuna for the bad.

See Danny Brady for the good.

2 Likes

I’ve no idea what you mean :thinking:

That’s disgusting, right down to the cow pat on top of the driveway.

3 Likes

Preferred the illegal 50/50 frontside shoveit in the background.

jk, it’s a little predictable to hate on Decunha, it’s not pretty but I can choose not to watch.

NO. I know tons of kids who can do these very well on ledges but don’t have solid basics. They worked on cool tricks for cool guy points but forgot the basics and, in my eyes, a good skater is someone who has solid basics and who can skate anything.

3 Likes

I can’t disagree with that. I love a good back tail though, you have to have some board control to do it.

True!

A proper frontside crook. Most people can work on them for years and not get anywhere.

2 Likes