2020 New Years Resolutions: What trick you going to (re)learn?

Do it on something low first then work up. And yeah you need to give it the tiniest boost forwards before you jump.

1 Like

Start from being stood on the bolts too.
Foot on the tail will cause the nose to pop up when you jump.

1 Like

I want to get better at riding switch. The aim is to become as comfortable doing stuff backwards as forwards

There’s so much to work with on that last post – dying inside.

3 Likes

Yeah, I feel he’s got the ‘moving backwards’ stuff down already. It’s going forward that’s going to be tricky.

8 Likes

Lol

On a serious note, though, it’s really weird. It’s like trying to write with your other hand. I’ve been learning for a couple of months on the small bowl at Selfridges. I can now sort of do frontside switch carves at speed around the bowl but backside switch is different. I’m slower, lower and more hesitant that way. I end up doing a sort of cross between a carve and a kickturn: front foot on the nose, back foot over the truck bolts and I sort of drag and slide the back wheels round to make it turn.

Not just in that way tbh.

1 Like

You need to put a hard stop on any left-leaning influence. Don’t worry though - current figures show that you’re fine, and getting better. The future is bright!

3 Likes

On a serious note though. Have you tried leaving the bowl? Pretty sure it will all still be fine if you just leave the bowl, but demand to still be able to carve it switch.

5 Likes

Could always perfect the art of dropping out, as opposed to in.

1 Like

For me, it’s all in the shoulders. Switch backside carve allows you to dip your shoulders too much, unless your consciously try to open them up.

(Re)learning nosegrinds on blocks. A friend made me a ledge for Christmas. Fits in the car. It’s kinda short, so not too easy to skate, but whatever. That’s just an excuse. I want to relearn nosegrinds on it, but I have commitment issues. I roll up to the trick but I can’t convince myself to jump into it. I used to do them all the time and now I’ve got to (re)break that mental barrier.

1 Like

Warwick may not have views we all agree on but please chill out on the snipes. This is a discussion space for everyone.

Thank you

3 Likes

Those were pretty chilled-out snipes, I thought. Oh well

2 Likes

That sounds like a good idea. I’m skating after work today - I’ll give it a go

Those snipes are jokes, we can joke about anything. Of course it’s at Warwicks expense but he has always shown a grownup attitude and healthy resilience. It’s us that disagree with his views that have always dipped below decent decorum in the past, he has always been great in these situations even if we think what he says is wrong. If Warwick feels bullied i’m sure he’d say so.

Please do not sanitise the forum, you cunts!

3 Likes

Boardrooms use to have a bowl you could keep Pumping round and round really fast, that was good for learning doing it switch

1 Like

Nose grinds really trip me out. I either get them really quickly or it takes thirty goes to do a tiny rubbish one. Long balanced ones are a mystery

I love them, i’d rather do a long nosegrind than a 50, much easier.