A little beginner advice please.

It will for a few minutes but you get used to it. I do the same as Anon, front slightly looser but you don’t realise once you’re used to it, just feels natural but you can roll out of trouble rather than tick tacing out of everything.

1 Like

Yeh the kids pissed themselves and the wife has me down as having a mid life crisis. It’s all good fun though.

3 Likes

It kind of does but there’s more margin for error when you land a trick and it feels so much better.
Experiment though - don’t go mega loose too quickly

1 Like

That’s awesome man! Much stoke. For now just get comfortable and stable in what you’re doing. There’s unlimited potential for customisation of your setup and different stances/foot position. Go with what works to begin with and fuck about with all that later

2 Likes

You should try them fakie.

1 Like

I think my shins are permanently scarred from shuvits.

1 Like

Had a set of neoprene ankle supports I used to use when I played rugby years ago, they are quite light weight but really take the sting out of those lower shin and ankle hits.

1 Like

Having fun with a new activity means you are enjoying life. Nothing ‘mid life crisis’ about it. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Argh, looks awful. And it’s full of longboard nonsense.

Haha - you clicked.

I tried Googling and found this instead…

2 Likes

A little update on my progress. So I have move on from practicing on carpet in the garage to out side today on tarmac, a little different but just had to slow my scoppd down a bit. Had a go at rolling my first few shoveits. Standard shoveit’s I just can not do but rolling nollie - shoveits (or whatever they are called) I managed to land one or two but my arss and eldow did take a betting from the board running away in front of me. I think I need to have a little more farward lean before I pop the board around, also found it slightly more comfortable when rolling a little faster, but over all happy with today session.

I did have a go at doing shoveits switch (as surgest by some on here) but Holy shit I’m crap a riding switch at the moment defo need more practice at that, its like I had forgotten what my knees and arms are for, just awful.

A&E are on speed dial 1 now.

Cheers for all the advice

Brian.

7 Likes

Remember to have fun! Switch is eventually really rewarding but just enjoy yourself, keep rolling!

1 Like

And best thing about it, I get to do this with my two kids, even if they do encourage and belitle me in equal amounts, teenagers girls…

4 Likes

At first, maybe try and crouching ever so slightly when doing the trick, it will lower your centre of gravity and make you fall more forward with way less impact and hopefully stop that scary wipe out where you go head over heels.
If you’re trying tricks all straight you have more chance of flipping your body end to end, that’s when you get arm injuries. Once you’re steadier you’ll have more confidence to stretch out and put loads of effort in to get your tricks higher and more effortless.

1 Like

If you’re not already, make sure you find time to just skate. Not trying tricks, just rolling around. Get used to being on the board. Maybe do some little manuals. Get used to how it turns. Drop off a kerb or two.

Firstly cos it’ll make tricks a lot easier when you’re confident on the board, but mainly cos it’s fun. This is basically my skating now.

4 Likes

Cheers Will.

Yeh I do all that, apart from dropping of curbs, haven’t try that yet, but my long term is just to be able to ride about without looking a comple tit and have some fun with my kids.

My list of things to learn is go up/down curbs stop/start and I would love to have the skills to ride a bowl. I’m trying to ollies but its slow going so started on the shovits as they look fairly straightforward and without to much dynamic movements from me… Leson learned.

Stopping and starting I’m OK with, little power sides on the damp tarmac are fun, very old kiteboarding skills comming in handy, but foot braking still feels a little odd. Happy jumping on the board from a running start and have picked up one or two other thing that probably have names but I have no idea on that side of things.

Thanks Brian.

1 Like

Messing about in the garage again today practicing the shuvit and trying a few ollies, getting comfortable with the shuvits not great at the ollie but did land a new trick ( not a real trick) but I’m sure it all helps with board control and I’m pleased with it.

6 Likes

Been to skate park in keighley today, riding the transitions trying to drop in, trying the rolling shuvits both normal and nollie. I’m beginning to see how bloody madening skateboard is, everything going great one minute next I’m on my backside, after someone ran on to the skate park and smash me about the hips and shoulders in with a baseball bat ( or that’s what it feels). So going at like like a teen is not a good idea at nearly 50 but I will mend after a few days… a week or so. On the good side no picture or videos but quite a few witnesses and a did land a few nollie shuvits rolling and one of the kids did see me ollie (just about). Rolling to the top of the 1/4 is a lot scary than I thought and my switch riding is coming along, no I didn’t drop in… F@ck me thats scary!

Next time I will take my phone and film a bit so you call all take the piss

Cheers Brian drinking strong cider… Medicinal you know.

3 Likes

I was paralysed by fear with dropping in for the longest time, but once you do it a couple of times, it becomes almost as easy as just rolling along. I.e. not that easy but you know what I mean!

Keep it up mate - gives me inspiration to get back into it after quite a few years not skating, and being total dogshit when I was!

1 Like

Find smallest quarterpipe/bank you can and work up!

1 Like