A little beginner advice please.

Was glad to see the trick tip in Skateboarders Companion talks about a fluid weight transfer when dropping in. I was at the skatepark the other week and there was a coach there getting these kids to “slam your front wheels down”, which is not how it works (for me at least).

1 Like

Cheers, I will be back at it when I’m fixed. The few times I managed connect up the 1/4ers and keep rolling was such a fantastic feeling, it might have looked dog shit but what a buzz.

The 1/4 I tried dropping was about as small as you could ever get, I just need to suck it up after I get myself a helmet I think.

The slamming the wheels down is what I was working on and one of my biggest problems/ wories is what do I do with all that speed I’m going to gain very quickly?

Good bit of advice for dropping in that I was given a few years back: keep your shoulders strictly parallel to the board. Turn your head if you like, but don’t be tempted to turn your shoulders to face in the direction of travel.

Helps keep your weight better distributed and avoid that horrible slip out slam you see when people have too much weight on their back foot.

1 Like

Isn’t it odd how skateboarding warps your perspective on things walking the dog today in a park I have been to lots of time before but never thought of these rails as something I would like to see a skilled rider go down before…

And in the same park I think this could be my training 1/4,looks quite mellow to me and it has a long flat run off so I don’t need to worry about what’s coming next.

It’s Mertel Park in Bingley if your from the area and wanted to know.

2 Likes

Nice one, hope it dries up for you soon. Quarter looks good to learn on.

1 Like

Looks fun! Enjoy!

1 Like

Had a shit time in the garage trying ollies so went out to brave the cold. Just riding about the road out side the house and up and down the curbs. Used my strave app to see how fast me and my little one can go. Was a little scary at times but we have so much fun trying to race each other.

Had many a good sesh there back when I lived in Bradford.

Apols for potato quality.
Think this is 2009/10

1 Like

Cheers for the video was very cool.

I’m still at it, well making myself look a twat most of the time. Had a few short sessions at Bingley myself now with real skaters watching and didn’t get kick out of the park.

A picture of me trying to look like I know what im doing.

And a video of me looking knackered in the sun from Saturday at the caravan. Had a go at a bowl in Feetwood on Saturday as well, bloody terrified me, need to go again…

2 Likes

Just ollied up a curb… I’m am so “stoked”

Just practicing outside the house getting pionters from my girls and after about 1/2 hour doing standing ollies and getting on OK. I then started rolling and just couldn’t commit so put the curb in my may and after 10 or so attemps I got it, only once but I ended on a hight.

Big kids aren’t I.

18 Likes

Raaaaaahhhhh stoked! Congrats! I remember first time I ollied over a coke can, was pumped for days, you must be buzzing

4 Likes

Best feeling ever! You’ll be doing some hard flip nose blunt slide thing down a massive hubba in a few years but thinking how this day was better

4 Likes

I’ve been skating for almost 30 years and there’s a few standout memories. First proper ollie and first proper ollie up a curb are both some of the most vivid

5 Likes

Same! Ollie on a Santa Cruz Corey O’Brien blank at my mates drive. Kick flip over a drain outside my house on a New Deal Andrew Morrison. Heelflip over a breeze block on a Real team deck. Bailing an Ollie off a curb and credit carding my balls on an Alex Moul slick. But I can never remember what I’m supposed to be doing at work today.

5 Likes

I can’t remember my first Ollie or kickflip. Remember my first varial flip though. Rock fakies were a battle for me, I think my first one of them got me the most stoke

1 Like

found them so difficult, lean too much into the ramp when coming back. taken a bad slam that way

2 Likes

Cheers everyone, now I think I can “skatebaord.”

Off to go buy some pads today, going to head off to the skate park, learn to drop in and hopefully a few Rock fakies as well… If you see an old man bleeding from a head wound in Bingley that will probably be me…

3 Likes

Congrats man, I still remember trying to pop up a curb and back tracks deciding to all out nope it aha.

First varial flip was a great one (couldn’t pop shuv or kickflip though)

First sprained ankle is as clear as the day it was done