A little beginner advice please.

I remember these.

I bet 8/10 skaters manage to varial flip before kickflip.

1 Like

whaaaaat no way! no one i knew coming up learnt shove it flips before kickflips. i only know one person who had heels before kicks too

Ok so maybe I wasn’t clear. But for a few hours my first kickflips were stationary and went 90 degrees and my body naturally turned.

It took some more practice to get them to flip straight.

I thought this was a problem a few people had when trying to learn kickflips.

1 Like

Although I learned ‘straight’ kickflips first, kickflip body varials and flip shuvs seemed to naturally happen first for some people around me.

1 Like

ohhh okay so not learning a legit shove it flip but crazy angled kicks, i gets ya

Its the additional pressure on the toe side back foot that makes people varial first I reckon. Definitely used to see a load of kids that could throw out varial flips before straight ones, i guess as they need finesse for the normal flips. Saw a fair few people learn heelflips before kickflips for the same reason, all hit and hope

i think it’s because (and i’m sure everyone will disagree with me here) a heelflip flick is closer to an ollie motion than a mobbed kickflip flick. i don’t think you can really mob a heelflip because of that reason. it’s not until you start learning to kickflip properly that they become closer to an ollie

i don’t know if that made any sense but it did in my mind

I assure you, it is possible

1 Like

to me, a mob flick is when you put the foot through the board so that the toes go underneath it and then you have to lift it back up sort of. doesn’t really work with a heel no? i’m open to video submissions

this whole theory is my basis for “heelflips are the trick of the gods and far superior to kickflips in every way”

disclaimer - heelflips are still a bitch

1 Like

First few attempts at a heelflip lead to kebabin myself, so soon gave up on them.

1 Like

I learnt heelflips from the Paul Shier ‘how to’ in R.A.D, 91 or maybe 92? Caught the mother of all primos on one in front of my daughter recently haha

2 Likes

For me kickflip body varials (or sex changes) came way before legit kickflips.
Same with pressure flips before hardflips. They don’t even spin the same way but everyone seemed to think they were hardflips. I did one last week after not doing one for about twenty years and was told “Nice hardflip” lol.

I used to be able to do do Heelflips with a backside body varial/sex change too and they were about as stinky as tricks get but felt great.

Might start a new thread ‘stinky tricks that feel great!’.

3 Likes

I used to love shove it body varials. It felt like I could pop them so high, probably because my bushings were cranked so tight back then.

1 Like

I never learned hardflips but can do frontside pressures and they pop relatively high, unlike regular pressure flips. Kids do think they’re genuine hardflips- they’re clearly not looking at my cockeyed foot positioning. I don’t do them very often because they mess up my dodgy back knee for some reason, (which is probably for the best :wink:).

1 Like

Kickflip body varial for me first.

Later @roncalow taught me the Nollie heel version haha.

man i used to love those pressure hard flips/frontside pressures whatever they are. i remember doing one at Harrow 20-odd years ago on a death deck and a bunch of kids thought i was pro. they look absolutely shite if you see them from the wrong angle though

2 Likes

Just to amuse myself I occasionally knock out pressure flip half flips - they’re like a normal pressure but the board only flips halfway and I flip it from upside down to right side up with the toe of my back foot. No one pays any attention to them but, if ever they did, and asked me what it was I would always call it a half impossible half flip to confuse them, (and to hopefully obscure it’s pressure flip stinkiness).I did one in front of a bunch of kids a few weeks back and they sort of freaked on it. Apparently I can do ‘Kader flips’ now. The only time I’ve ever seen one on video was Kader doing one down some stairs on an episode of Nine Club Experience. I guess they’ve seen that footy. So now my self indulgent goofy/stink trick is actually a thing. Funny how that works.

3 Likes

Film one!

I think that would be a bit of a waste of everyone’s time. The description of the trick is far more impressive than the trick itself. Besides, I haven’t intentionally filmed anything since the early 90’s. All the footage I have of myself since then has essentially been poached, haha. I hate skating in front of a camera.(tbh I don’t really even take photos - not even holiday snaps) When I’ve been out skating on filming missions with other people the filmer has occasionally caught me out without me knowing and I won’t know until they’ve included me just pissing about in a video where everyone else is actually trying. I guess it might have been nice to film a proper part bitd, but I have probably missed the boat on that one as I don’t think that starting to do so at 50 years old is that point :wink:

3 Likes

I used to be the same, but wondered why everyone was so obsessed with GoPros and bought one. I bought a stand and a rubber case for it. It makes solo sessions enjoyable, gives you a bit of focus and watching the footage sometimes helps you get past some of the blocks you have on certain tricks.

When I skate with a group I rarely think to film anything. Sometimes it’s fun to do so, but I think it can ruin the session at times.

3 Likes