'Alright, OK'

The skating is genuinely really good. I think the criticism is more about some questionable clothing + after-bang style choices from Elijah, and the fact that the edit doesn’t have much momentum cos it’s edited as a video equivalent to a Vans brand look-book.

1 Like

Elijah Berle in 2021
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AeANz2ndM8

1 Like

I love how The Village People grabbed that look and ran with it.

Crying with laughter emoji.

1 Like

I wouldn’t of thought anything of it at all had he clearly not been so “inspired”, but with that clearly being the case it felt almost contrived. A thought I wouldn’t of even had if Mason Silva or someone else had done that trick. I don’t doubt for a second that it was probably as a tribute of some sort, and done well, but like I said initially it felt off.

Can’t argue the skating of course (back 3 over the handrail in to the bank was bonkers) but the rest of it seemed to overshadow that. I’d say that says more about me though right?!

1 Like

I’ve gotta admit, as much as I don’t really give a fuck about Elijah Berle and his style/look, his part was actually way more enjoyable than Crockett’s. Obviously a terrible mistake using that tune but the skateboarding itself was pretty banging!

Still don’t really understand why Justin Henry is in this video. Average at best.

Well that was fucking sick.

Lee Marvin had the best fits in The Wild One.

1 Like

Gilbert’s skating is great, his trouser game is more refined, his manuels and wavy arms are all top quality. I love his skating anyway so can’t really find fault with his section. I preferred his Propeller part, but I think that’s because of the music. Overall, 8/10 for Gilbert.

Bearle, as good at skating as he is, just feels a bit fake and it’s like he’s watched one Jason Adams part and decided that’s his look for this season. I also don’t like his go faster arms. 3/10

3 Likes

Nope, I get what you mean now.

lol @ “go faster arms”

The ledge at mile end in spring.

14 Likes

I do like Roy Orbison though.

2 Likes

Solid fits, apart from fake Dylan.

1 Like

Tucked in tee shirt. Not ok.

3 Likes

Thoughts as I watch it.

Really like Gilbert’s part - I get the lack of tempo thing with the track but it sort of fits with the fact that he’s filmed nearly all of it where he lives. It removes the need for that ‘fake urgency’ that editors use to stitch together footage from Barnsley, Barcelona and Bombay to make it less jarring.
Wukeeper is the dude in this part right? He looks tall so I’m assuming tht e stuff he’s skating is massive but the fish eye obscures it.

Re Elijah - if we’re talking bites/references the surely him flipping the table at the start is a Dill bite/ref on both his and Greg Hunt’s behalf?

Will add more as I watch.

Regarding the impossible noseblunt - this is now and forever will be an Ed T reference despite Ed besmirching his reputation somewhat by being a preachy hypocrite on Instagram whilst simultaneously posting creepy voyeuristic photos of young kids passed off as art. I didn’t get the Dylan bit with said trick anyway but that’s probably my age.

EDIT - also impossible nosewheelies will always be a John Montessi reference whether people know it or not.

2 Likes

I don’t have many thoughts.

Think i prefer gnarly stuff when it’s a bit more vanilla like Mason.

Love Gilbert though.

By vanilla I mean t-shirt out, regular fitting jeans, no hair gel lol

1 Like

You can’t imitate this.

2 Likes

Just watched it too.
I have no problem with crocketts attire, I know that will sound weird but I even quite like it, he seems natural and like it’s really what he likes to wear, I quite like turn ups. His skating was rad, nothing forced just his own style. All good.

I have no problem with Elijah’s skating or his level of skating anyway, he’s amazing, however everything else just wound me up. I can almost hear his inner monologue talking him through every movement. “Alright, ok, Push, hunch, arm up, no wait, don’t push yet, hang leg for a second, touch knee, wait… now push, That’s it, you’re looking styley as fuck right now my man, when this trick is over i’m gonna show this to the girl behind the rockabilly club bar on my phone, i’m def gonna get it from her tonight”

Everything laboured and everything thought about, not for concern for the art but just to fill that void of self that is his individual personality. Of course this is just an interpretation and it’s really unfair but it’s what I see.

Filming, there are modern aspects but done really well, everything caught amazingly and spots given the view they deserve for context. We had a time where we saw “zero” life outside of the couple of seconds when the trick happened so in recent years it’s nice to see much more of how the skater approaches tricks and spots and the life in the result of the trick, it’s one of the cool things that this modern style has brought, but we don’t need to see every throw down, every ride off into the sunset, every push for every trick. Everything good in moderation as they say.