Black Lives Matter

I’m not sure it’s a real solution and not one that’s exactly helpful now; ‘hey black people just go and marry white people then gradually all these issues you’re experiencing will go away’…

That said, maybe it’s because I’ve married outside of my own ‘race’ but I do notice far more mixed race couples these days. I remember it used to be acceptable for people the openly say that they’d rather be in a relationship with someone of their own race. I’m guessing that’s not the case now even if for the large majority it’s still true.

I never said that and I’m not saying that’s what should happen. But would be better if those parents were actually put in a situation where they see the happiness in their kids eyes being with someone they had the bigoted view on and start changing their own minds.

I know that’s not what you said, I just don’t see it as a big help myself, relationships can go wrong after all and then you could be back at square one.

No i totally get that but if it does work that’s one less racist family. It’s a slow process

Pretty interesting seeing how quick these statues are coming down. The message has been heard and it took an “illegal” act to set it off.

1 Like

I always struggle to know what I should actually do to make a positive difference. I feel like I’m in two worlds, here. I live in Brexitville but work at a hospital and so have friends and colleagues from all over the place. I don’t stay silent if someone comes with some racist bullshit and I do think that can cut through especially when it’s someone who you know likes or respects you. I think if everyone at least did that then we’d be a lot further along. I don’t think that racism will ever be eradicated, though. Or anything near to it.

2 Likes

If people are made to feel uncomfortable with hate speech then they will eventually begin to think twice about using that sort of language.

…So, calling it out is a good thing for sure.

I guess we don’t need to try to argue with people or in some cases even bother correcting them.
Just let them know you aren’t comfortable with that sort of language.

That discomfort would probably sit with them longer than allowing things to get angry or heated because at that point, things just get righteous…

I’m probably in the minority in wondering whether keeping some of these statues might be a good way for people to learn about abhorrent incidents from history. It’s a bit paradoxical but statues of figures like Rhodes and King Leopold II encourage people to research who they were. If these statues are not there will people research their contentious past in the same way? Or just live their lives in ignorance of historical injustices?

We don’t need statues of hitler to know what an utter horrific cunt he was.

It’s the change in the education system that’s needed.

Stick them in a slavery museum.

Or just melt them down and move on.

I don’t think they should be standing.

Imagine being a black person living in that estate in Tower Hamlets and everyday, you have to walk past a statue on the entrance of a slaver.

No wonder people are angry…

1 Like

Yeh I get the issue about slave owners’ statues being torn down. But at what point do we draw the line about significant historical figures that have a questionable legacy? Should we get rid of every statue of every despot from history? Look at how many statues of Stalin there are for example …

1 Like

The thing is if I see a statue, I’m going to generally think that they were a good person deserving of one.

The stalin statues are for the countries they’re in to decide. As for the U.K. If we’re taking down ours it’s setting an example of what’s not acceptable in the 21st century and changing the history curriculum

On the money!

This sums it up

1 Like

Isn’t Stalin very much liked in Russia still?

My point about Stalin was that millions died in his enforced labour camps but he is not remembered solely as a tyrannical dictator. I am not saying that he was liked or disliked but that there are thousands of statues which commemorate him.

So the statues of Hitler and the Nazi party should still be standing then?

Well, I’m not saying that. I’m wondering with revisionist approaches to history, what should you leave standing? Do you tear down everything that is inconsistent with 21st century values? Churchill was a racist in many ways. Should we tear his statue down?

I think all the fuss over statues is a bit of a sideshow.

If there was a public statue of Margaret Thatcher white people would be vandalising it everyday. Churchill, starved millions of Indians but also saved millions of people in WW2, tricky. I don’t pretend to have all the answers.