Black Lives Matter

The sad thing is that slave trade was actually legal and paedophilia wasn’t so it’s a bit of a stupid thing to say.

It does put it in perspective though.

You probably could marry a 12 year old when slavery was about.

yeh me neither

1 Like

It’s not really tricky to me, he was of his time and did some very good things and some very bad, he’s just a prominent figure in history and I can see why they built a statue of him at the time.

I see the Ghandi statue is next.

Yeah because children were protected back then by the people in power doing the abusing and getting away with it whilst everyone stepped back and let it happen.

May as well have been legal

I know, wasn’t having a dig at you, it’s just difficult to compare a child molester to a slave trader when one of those things was legal at the time.

There’s child labour now in parts of the world, we really have not come that far.

Damn right. All those kids in the DRC, Indonesia and Bolivia digging through toxic dirt to claw out the tungsten, copper, tin and cobalt we need for our phones but don’t really want to think about.

I mean, you need a smartphone, and if buying one helps keep six year-old miners employed, it’s all good right?

I know I will be called out for this but I have to speak how I feel.

I look forward to a time when we can start to criticise and work on what is wrong with every culture.

before you stop reading and reply to that all guns blazing, I do not say that in a way of privilege that can be explained away with a meme in order to educate me.
I know it’s not the time to be thinking like this, all that’s important right now is that we stamp out the problem as a whole, meaning that we all jump on the BLM wagon, as bad as that sounds. We all need to do our part and change to level the playing field so we can work on all the other prejudices in so many cultures that no one can mention at this time. Does this make sense as a person looking to the future for all? Because I know full well, it can and will be interpreted as racist, privileged etc etc.

And yeah, call me out for posting this as a thinly veiled “all lives matter” thing if you want because it’s my first post on the subject which wasn’t outright pro BLM.
I am of course pro BLM.

1 Like

Obvious typo aside, good move.

Yeah definitely and hopefully it’s not seen as lip service and as a way to highlight that injustices were made in the past regarding hiring, which is big, admitting that your company will have hired people based on their race.

There is one in the Houses of Parliament. Grantham have been trying to put one up for the last few years. So far, they’ve erected the plinth and built the statue but not placed the statue on the plinth. I think the council have had major second thoughts, and the events of the last week will hopefully see them abandon the project.

Statues celebrate the individual, monuments point out the importance of a time.

Will they still use sweatshop labour though?

One of the best things about my four year old is that she genuinely can’t and doesn’t see any difference between anybody regardless of class, race, disability, gender etc. It’s just two groups:

1. People she likes and is nice too because they are nice to her (99.99% of the world) and
  2. People who have done something really horrible to her and she’s a bit less keen on but actually just ignores rather than reacts back to (00.01% - a couple of rowdier lads at her play school).

That’s it. We do everything we can to keep it going but its going to be really sad to watch that slowly unravel as she gets older.

2 Likes

It was decapitated within hours after going on show in the Guildhall art gallery and had to be hid away from the public in HoP.

1 Like

This country is fixated on WW2 and having won the war. That’s understandable but it leaves us blinkered and ignorant of the bad decisions Churchill made. He wanted a statue of himself in the redesigned parliament square - the statue is propaganda.

Statues celebrate individuals and validate them as ‘important men’, but offer little room for nuance. They are a terrible way for people to learn about history. I bet most people hadn’t heard of Colston until this weekend. Chucking him in the sea has brought the debate up and educated a whole host of people about what British cities have been built on.

I think Churchill is safe for now, but give it 50 years and people may we’ll have had enough. Not sure where the Gandhi idea comes from? I saw his statue was defaced but I can’t see people tearing it down.

1 Like

I always thought that racism is taught not inherited. And while I believe it’s not inherited per se, It’s evident that for whatever reason, there is an ingrained idea that some people are more than others.
Just this week I have had to have words with our middle lad about thinking that girls are less than boys. He might have gotten ideas off other kids but I think he’s just got this idea that because none of the top 10 on ninja warrior are girls that boys are just better overall. He’s all about swords and fighting, to our dismay, it’s not encouraged but from the day he could move, it was all he was about.
The other lads on the other hand are empathetical saints, one vegetarian wannabe vet and saviour doctor to the world and the 2 year old loves and pets bugs.