Boxing

Well this was a shock.

Or not…?

Listening to some Joe Rogan podcast after the Wilder-Fury fight and him and his peers seemed to think Joshua had jumped the shark or dropped out of the heavyweight tryptych.

Not really a boxing fan. Too much focus on head shots.

I’m no boxing expert, more of a casual fan but it didn’t seem like Joshua was at all prepared.

Ruiz came out like a brawler and didn’t stop swinging. How do you even defend yourself against that?

Footwork and distance?

From what I saw Joshua couldn’t create any distance, Ruiz just kept coming forward.

Ruiz was really clever at creating openings in Joshua’s guard by returning his missed punches through the rear of the guard, pulling Joshua’s gloves down and allowing Ruiz to throw his other hand through the hole that created. Really old school technique that’s under-utilised nowadays. Also played a bit dirty by doing the same motion but further into Joshua’s stance and returning his hand back via the back of Joshua’s neck to pull the head down and have his head off line and leaving him open to shovel hooks and uppercuts. Really brilliant strategy.

As for Joshua, sooner or later, picking the “easy” (it’s still world championship heavyweight boxing) fights was going to bite him sooner or later. This has vindicated my belief that Fury stands as the best heavyweight in the world, followed closely by Wilder. Joshua and I believe Ruiz are a tier below them, but Ruiz’s style could work well against Wilder; but that all remains to be seen.

1 Like

I’m very much the casual watcher as well and I thought Joshua’s defence actually left him more open as head was lower but I’m happy to corrected on that!

It’s interesting for Wilder and Fury now as they have the stronger bargaining position.

Check out the Parade online skate shop