Cars

I’ve got the 2.5 174. For something that weighs nearly 2.5 tonnes it can shift. Mine is a manual and it’s really nice to drive, really easy to drive can’t fault it. Apart from I haven’t got round to fixing the drivers window yet

2 Likes

Quite a bit, but I’m working through it.

It failed it’s MOT (2013) and sat for a few years (5) until I thought I’d try and fix it myself, so I’m going through the fail list, the advisories and a plenty of extras - learning how to spanner and weld as I go.

I’m having to do it outside so weather and seasons have spaced repairs / learning out a bit.

Edit: Don’t want to jinx it, but it could be upgraded to ‘rolling resto’ status in time for Summer.

Maybe Autumn.

2 Likes

Sounds awesome I work outside as well. A friend of mine has a T25 he was trying to restore for his birthday and go on a big trip.

https://instagram.com/therollingbrick?igshid=fcbi4r5l899

2 Likes

On the positive side - we don’t have to worry about ventilation.

I’ve just taken a look at that Insta and can empathise with the…
“I found it really hard today. I wanted to stop and give up the whole idea and sell the bas#@^d thing”
…comment on one of the pics. :smiley: :smiley:

He’s fully committed now by the looks of it!

2 Likes

I lost count at £4m+…so far…

Absolutely unfair how much genuine greatness there, that’s totally unaffordable and will be bought as investments rather than to be enjoyed.

1 Like

What’s a good van to buy to convert into a camper?

What price? What size camper? For a smaller camper VW Transporter, for a bigger one VW Crafter…to give you the VW options. People use transits and stuff too though.

Let’s see a pic of yours Jimo!

Here’s one from camping last weekend!

9 Likes

Nice! Did you get that converted yourself?

Yeah, that’s a bit like asking what’s a good house. I went the VW trasnporter route just because it needs to be small enough to work as a car sometimes, they’re so popular as campers that there’s tried and tested solutions to everything and I think they look nicer than other vans. Somehow transits etc. no matter what is done to them still just look to me like carpeted builders vans.

1 Like

Could probably afford a T4. Really like how they look.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/133758715435?hash=item1f24a4062b:g:Z5oAAOSwT9FgmZDh#viTabs_0

Yeah, there’s lots of older vans that have been looked after really well but as with anything that sort of age keep a good eye out for rust etc. Loads of ways to do conversions without it costing too much as well but if you start looking at pop tops and things then it does get spendy. Best bet is to get stuck into some forums and start reading up. It’s a bit of a rabbit hole, though.

2 Likes

I bought a 08 Citroen dispatch LWB for 2k
Had to do some work on it for that price but it’s got FSH and goes well.
Doing a cheap conversion with free wood, want to be able to sleep in it for a few nights + get a stinking motorbike in it.
Not gonna bother with electric for now, got a gas stove and may buy a portable power station à la Jackery.

7 Likes

Anywhere I should start?

No I was planning to go down that route. I was looking for a DSG van in this colour and would have sent it to these guys who are the bollocks:

But…finding a van is long, waiting for a conversion slot is long, and even when you get one in it still takes time. I am quite an impatient person.

I found this van on eBay in Bristol, went to have a look and the guy was an engineer, knew his stuff, and had done everything on it himself.

Paid him cash on the day and drove it home. It’s been great.

I’ve had to re-do some electrics after I fucked them by not securing the water-tank and it fell out and ripped a load of wiring out. I have also upgraded the battery and added a couple of little things inside like a new table and stuff…but he did the pop-top, leisure battery, captain’s seats, rock and roll bed, all the insulation, sound-proofing, internal carpeting, etc…etc…

But yeah if you are thinking of doing it yourself just be sure you’re the kind of person who can measure things well enough that you can confidently take an angle grinder to the roof of a new van. That ain’t me.

If you’re looking for a convertor, either go by word of mouth recommendation NOT internet, or go and look at some of their work with someone who knows what to look for if you’re a bit green.

It is kind of a minefield, but there are some easy DIY mods you can do to a standard van to make it a nice place to sleep in occasionally, insulation, sound proofing etc…

1 Like

That’ll do the job!

1 Like

I’m making it up as I go, I’ve soundproofed and insulated everything. Keeping an eye on the scrappers for some windows too.

1 Like