Cars

You can do anything you like to be honest. Done about 10 for this guy now, this is the first modern replica but it is an S1. All the others have been OG S1’s built from mostly OG parts. Had some crazy ones in. 1 has some 0-60 record apparently. That thing flew. Also a couple that were wrecks picked up off the side of deserted roads left there from the late 80s

4 Likes

How much to get your car done like a police car? Will need the lights on the roof too.

Mate had an ex-CID Audi years and years ago and the grille had the bits cut out for the blue lights - the only noticeable difference if you know what to look for - and the amount of people who’d drop their speed when they saw it in the mirror was crazy.
Went up and down to the Bolton park in that many times. Pretty quickly.

1 Like

Quite a fun watch, that group S car looks so cool.

D’you mean terrifying? Look at how the front end lifts when it’s under power.

I love the Group B cars for the history but this whole prevailing attitude that the cars were so much faster then than they are now is not only wrong but legitimately holds back new interest in the sport and it’s such a shame because it’s still an incredible spectacle.

Weren’t F1 cars faster when they had super chargers? It’s why Schumacher still holds a bunch of lap records decades later. So I’m not sure that you can blame the speed of old group B cars for a lack of new interest. I think the coverage of it has really improved in recent years, it’s very well coveted by Red Bull and you watch it all for free so maybe that will help.

There is not many of those around and Audi has had to borrow cars off the guy that we do the stickers for
That looks just like one I did haha. I very much doubt it is though.

1 Like

Lady at works brothers Golf is the car in all the Palace x Evisu collab videos, old and new ones. Rad.

The garage he co-owns does paint jobs for loads of cars used in movies, mainly marvel stuff.

1 Like

But the cars now actually are faster than Gr.B and have been for some time. I’m saying it’s an uneducated opinion pedalled by nostalgia merchants and “good old days” naysayers without having seen the current product or doing any research. They just see BHP figures and danger and think that equals fast.

I think in this particular video it wasn’t glorified too much, he did raise the point of the tragedies that occurred in this era for example so if anything you could imagine most people thinking this cars are in the past for reason.

Is touring car racing still a thing?

Proper dad sport

Remember this? So good

Always drove the Audi

2 Likes

Saw this beauty at work. What an absolute stunner of a car. Got to be in the mid six figures.

5 Likes

I went to this house party in St Albans once and the girls dad was absolutely minted and raced touring cars for fun. I snuck into the garage to see the car and got told off.

Have never been to such a posh house.

I have just subsequently googled her dad and yeah he owns Luton football club lol.

The BTCC and WTCR are still the absolute bollocks. DTM (the German touring car series) used to be amazing as well, and probably the most prestigious circuit racing championship below F1 and Le Mans, but they’ve changed the classification from Class One saloon cars to GT3 cars, making it faster and more exotic but ultimately way less interesting. Compare what DTM cars were like in 2007:

to now:

It’s an unfortunate symptom of homogenisation with motorsports but if it brings more applicable and efficient technology sharing then I suppose it’s a good thing.

I still have no idea how Americans can watch that Indy car shit. One big left hand turn? No thanks

I agree; there is way more to it than that; banking angles/cornering layouts are different across all the tracks; some are almost circular, some rectangular, some egg-shaped, some D-shaped, but all, without fail, criminally boring.

6 Likes

Traded my old Honda CRV for a slightly newer 5 Series saloon with a tractor engine and auto gearbox. Being a ‘luxury’ spec its pipe and slippers all the way. I love it.

3 Likes

That looks scary.

1 Like

That’s where trusting the recce and co drivers pace notes really matter!

1 Like