Concrete Reality (architecture &/or skateboarding)

Also in same archive, anyone recognise these two?

SOUTH SHIELDS ARCHIVE 01

2 Likes

I keep riding past this park in Bristol on my bike, does anyone know anything about it? Really weird set of ledges, all super close to each other. I never see anyone ever skating it.

3 Likes

looks like a proper awful mid 00s council job

Looks like it’s been specifically designed for muggers and scallies. Bet it’s absolutely covered in spit.

3 Likes

These banks look decent, Brown Street in Dundee, 1980s

Seem to be filled in now…

3 Likes

Weird that they took the time to repaint the tree art even after painting over half the wall

2 Likes

Used to live about 1km from here in the mid 00s. It was built around 06 I think, as a replacement for some tarmac lumps. The council’s main point of contact was a BMXer (Craig I think?) with dreads who was a regular at St George and went to Parallel on a trip to Barcelona once. Thought it was such a fantastic spot that it should be replicated here, and voila… Despite everybody telling him otherwise when presented with the plans, he stuck to his guns that it was a cool design which would then get further investment to expand and renew it from the council. Needless to say, that never happened.
Great to see that it still sucks.

3 Likes

That’s interesting to hear the backstory, such a shame he wouldn’t listen to advice.

2 Likes

Bump for @wayout

@wayout

Leo Valls, Bordeaux:

https://soloskatemag.com/leo-vallsHu

There are a load of examples out there if you can be bothered to look.

3 Likes

is the bank still there / skateable?

2 Likes

It has a wall at the bottom now with a lip…

Even the, it spits you onto where one motorway turns into another.

1 Like

Love the design of that, found the rest of the booklet here.

Even if it was skateable, how do you get to it, just trek through the fields?

2 Likes

I’ve only just realised that I follow you on Twitter! Didn’t put 2 and 2 together for some reason (despite same username)

Absolutely loved this motorway booklet you posted yesterday

2 Likes

ah yeah that’s how I found the photo above, on the search for archive motorway opening booklets!

1 Like

Off to see this later. Should be good.

4 Likes

Reminds me of this, about 30 seconds from my mum and dad’s house

1 Like

Some brutalist concrete in Tokyo

1 Like

As somebody on Twitter said, now we know what a skatepark in a prison yard looks like.

4 Likes

DigitalOcean Referral Badge