Continually updated beat francois lunch v2.0

Last nights meal, beef short rib cooked for 2 days

3 Likes

What your Christmas Dinner needs. Delia’s dauphenois potatoes.

Does anyone have any suggestions for good vegetarian dinners to cook for a few folk ?

Everything I know is meat-centric so need a few ideas chefs

Sweet Potato Chilli is an easy one for a few people.

3 Likes

Veggie Green Curry, Stir-fry, Noodles, Pasta… a few ideas to hopefully help kick start more thoughts.

2 Likes

Carrot and coriander soup with eggs mimosa as a side and a nice cheese platter with apple, grape, various nuts and jams.

1 Like

Couple ideas grabbed from one of those traybake books

1 Like

Much appreciated chaps. Plenty to go at here !

1 Like

Best salad I’ve ever tried is feta, pear, beetroot with mint leaves. So good

1 Like

I’ve done all these salads and they are all dope.

Worth watching for the watercress obsessed farmer with a PhD in salad.

Chinese is easy to veggie up. Stirfried chilli tofu with noodles and veg is a banger

How about a vegetarian byriani, side vegetable curry sauce and all the pickles and bhajis and shit?

I did a veggie chilli the other day and it was popping. Genuinely good for you too.

I roasted the sweet potato separately, added half halfway through and added the other half right at the end so it had good texture. Cooked it for ages and ages so it reduced way down. Had loads of black beans and shit in it. The seceret ingredients are chipotle paste and these:

Depending on how veggie they are (will they eat Parmesan?) then pasta pesto always goes down well. I blitz a bag of basil, two or three cloves of garlic, a large handful of pan roasted cashews, a smaller handful of pan roasted pine nuts, an amount of Parmesan roughly equal to the nut portion and as much olive oil as it takes to make it the right consistency…the more oil you can get in the mix the better. Season and stir into pasta. Serve with salad, extra Parmesan, loads of garlic bread, maybe some peas or grilled broccoli or something.

Made this and realised afterwards that it was vegan. Sweet potato jerk stew thing.

3 Likes

That sounds banging, would you mind sharing the rough recipe? The wife and I have been pescatarian at home (her permanently, I’ll still have meat when we eat out) for a couple of years and we’ve started to fall into a rut of same or similar stuff all the time. She won’t eat anything Indian or much North African, Caribbean or Japanese and that’s everything I want to explore more of. This seems perfect.

Yeah pretty standard stew thing. Just throw things in and let it cook.

So:

Chop a big sweet potato into little cubes. Put them in the oven to roast.

Sweat down 2 chopped onions in a casserole pot for like 10 mins.

Add in a lot of chopped ginger, garlic and some biggish chunks of 2 x peppers (and chilli if you want to make it spicy) and cook that for another 5 or 10 slowly. Maybe add spring onions too here if you want. Season with salt and pepper at this stage

Add in dry jerk seasoning spices and some allspice and some thyme. Cook that out for a bit.

Add in a load of this - it’s in tesco

download (5)

Cook that for a bit.

Then add in a tin of black beans (juice from the can and all). Then add some BBQ sauce and tomato sauce and then a big tin of pineapple and the juice.

Put about 3/4 or even 4/5 of the sweet potato from the oven which should be cooked by now.

Then add some vegetable stock. You want the liquid to be covering things pretty decently because you’re going to reduce it down for about an hour and a half.

Add in a bit of soy sauce and a bit of honey (not essential if you want to go vegan). I’m sure you could add a scotch bonnet here if you want.

I left it to boil away on the hob for a bit with the lid off for a while and then put the lid on and put it in the oven on low for a while. Needs a time for the liquid to reduce.

Then at the end i put the rest of the sweet potato in for chunkiness.

I chopped up some spring onions and squeezed a load of lime over them and scattered them at the end and that was nice.

Nice one bud, was a bit worried after what I’d said that it’d have coconut milk or something in it because she won’t eat that either!

I’ll be having that at some point. Cheers.

It’s raining so went to Sydney Fish Market.

Literally the best thing I’ve ever eaten, anywhere. $16 (about 9 quid) lobster roll. Dripping with grease and cooked with a blowtorch. Religious experience.

She got a a sushi taco. She also thoroughly enjoyed it.

This place will permanently end all “can you please just choose a fucking restaurant” arguments.

7 Likes

More needs to be said about these things of utter beauty.

Visited my grandad yesterday and he sorted me out with a bit of homegrown.

Stoked.

10 Likes