Continually Updated Comics/Graphic Novels

Will check that out. A few from my bedroom shelf here. Mixed bag!

1 Like

Killing and Dying is great. I love Adrien Tomines artwork

1 Like

Yeah put that up front for Stephen Coxy - might be a good one to check out if you enjoyed Sabrina. Assuming that’s Sabrina by Nick Drnaso and not Sabrina the teenage witch.

1 Like

Go buy all of these (especially anything by Michael DeForge)
https://drawnandquarterly.com/blog/2020/12/dq-books-best-2020-lists-new-york-times-guardian-and-more
Also Simon Hanselmann is great.

I love anything Adrian Tomine. His early collection 32 Stories is really good.
Any other Raymond Briggs fans? Where The Wind Blows and Ethel and Ernest are two of my absolute favourites.

1 Like

I’ve only cried reading two books ever, and they were both Graphic Novels.
Maus & When The Wind Blows. Just thinking about When The Wind Blows makes me feel a little sad, 10 years later.

2 Likes

I know this probably isn’t technically a graphic novel and it is actually a children’s book - but I bought this off eBay the other year as I remembered reading it as a kid and it’s great

1 Like

His dad in Maus [Vladek?] is a mirror image of my own father, his mannerisms and way of looking at the world are almost identical. Hit me hard!

I cried reading the end of Y the last man. Was going through some shit with a pets health and it hit me right in the feels.

Y The Last Man has a TV version appearing later this year…

I remember feeling really emotional at this page as a kid

Maus is great, but like you say is pretty harrowing.
I listened to the Radio 4 bookclub episode with Art Spiegelman, which was really interesting.

1 Like

He’s a genius. Fungus the Bogeyman is my favourite. Such a deep book! I love the two Father Christmas books as well. Ethel and Ernest is very touching. He ran the illustration course at Brighton for years as well. He retired a couple of years before I went there. Would have loved to have met him.

I also really rate Posy Simmonds’ books, and the compilation of her strips for the Guardian.

2 Likes

I always wondered whether the video ‘Mouse’ was an oblique reference to Maus given that Spike Jonze is actually Adam Spiegelman.
I asked Rick Howard once but he didn’t reply.
[/cmoac]

2 Likes

Loved this, just get it

1 Like

My dads called Stan and I loved these books.
The backgrounds were always so intricate with loads of visual gags.
The intricacy is like a primary school introduction to a Geoff Darrow book in places.

Jiro taniguchi’s books are all great and drawn superbly.

This YouTube channel is great if you just want to have something on in the background and half listen/ half watch two two comic nerds deep dive into a book or artist
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nHnWAkNWbIA

1 Like

He didn’t draw that many episodes of Judge Dredd but what he did was so iconic. Judge Death! His drawing for the original Forbidden Planet shop on Denmark Street was so good.

1 Like

I’m not that up on the 2000ad stuff, though my mate had a stack, and we rated judge death. And judge Anderson obviously

That’s the one. Ordered - thanks!

Spike -

I didn’t notice until recently that on the back cover of Mouse it says, “Based on Das Maus by Art Spiegel.” Did the title stem from that graphic novel?

I don’t think so, I’m not even sure if there is…is there?

There is. I thought it was made up at first and then looked into it.

Oh yeah, there is. I think we just thought it was funny that we put it on the box.

1 Like