Continually updated running thread

I always run (and do most things tbh) best when I just go out for a run for the sake of running. I’m trying to do that more often. I did think about ditching Strava but that was a step too far, and I do like to keep track of my miles.

Anyone got any recommendations for a nice waterproof running jacket that I could get for Christmas? Just been out in the wind and the rain, I have some old Nike thing and it doesn’t seem to do much. I have no idea if it’s not waterproof or not breathable but I was soaked either way.

Try sportsshoes.com

1 Like

Anything by OMM, Montane or Inov8… Dont by anything that says its water repellent as you will just get wet through. I run in a Montane Minimus jacket 100% waterproof and wind proof. It also fits in my pocket if I need to take it off mid run.

1 Like

If it’s waterproof enough the really keep off the rain, doesn’t it end up trapping all the sweat trying to get out too, so you still end up soaked?

You have to spend a LOT to get something breathable and waterproof, and even then there’ll be a trade off. I tend to use a gilet rather than full jacket, on the bike too.

1 Like

I’m just too cold for that when it gets down to low single figures and with wind and rain as well, it’s usually really windy here too. I don’t know about the really expensive stuff, is a £300-£400 jacket going to be twice as good as a £150 one? Even any better at all? Aren’t they made of the same stuff or is there a lab somwhere making these exotic materials exclusively for use in expensive anoraks? Doubtful.

I know several people using this for every day running as well as mountain running in hellish conditions… absolute bombproof.

£100-180 is the most you need to spend on a fully waterproof, windproof and breathable jacket. I would wait until boxing day when most shops will have offers on.

Cheers for that. Looked at the Montanes too. Probably get one or the other of those.

1 Like

That is poo.

I was going to go out yesterday afty, then the Mrs broke to toilet seat (I say she broke it, it had clearly been on the go for a while) so I had a trip to B&Q and fitted the new one instead.

+1 for the montane minimus. I don’t think it’s possible to get a waterproof that doesn’t feel a bit boil in the bag once you’re running though.

2 Likes

Yeah, breathability has its limits. But anything has to be an improvement over the thing I’ve got which is quite literally useless. It seems to have the surprising properties of being neither breathable nor waterproof. Sports direct special that I must have bought years back when I first started running.

Was under the impression I’d not been out running for a month or so, turns out it’s been 2 weeks so that’s alright.
Went this morning, totally fine no real issues apart from my left wrist being really cold, nowhere else, just there. God knows.
Anyway last year I ran 147 days in total, which wouldn’t mind upping that. Although that’s about 3 times a week, so maybe that’s not too bad.

1 Like

Just looked it up and it means I’m rocking a really nice watch that is covered in diamonds.

1 Like

Set myself a goal of 1000 miles for this year, also to get out and run in some different places every now and then instead of just from my door.

1 Like

Dubious skateboarding/running crossover with ragdoll. Is he still a thing? Didn’t even read it.

Also I need to work on my day trading so I can afford some Satisfy gear. Even in the sale it’s Les Creuset money.

1 Like

It’s like the Rapha of running gear!

It’s a good interview - I used to love his Black Label parts!

I love how you’ve started comparing everything against Les Creuset.

1 Like

Didnt he have one absolutely enormous bollock that he was trying to raise money to sort out?

I’m sure I remember that

Mate I got daytrading in there too.
I’m brokering innuendos all over.

1 Like