Continually updated running thread

According to my fandango watchmajig I cover about 6 to 7km per hour playing footy at mostly sprinting speed.
That 3 times a week tagged onto the 6km that I add by riding there and back now on each occasion must count for something.

1 Like

Generally yep, up, dressed, swig of water, run. Means I’m well ready for breakfast when I get home. That’s for up to about an hour though, much more than that and I’ll need some fuel beforehand.

I try never to run straight after food though, always feel like absolute shit if I do.

1 Like

Porridge is great. I could run 30 mins after and not get a stitch.

Hahaha it just looks like they’re trying to get somewhere in a hurry

except for the guy that swam obvs

I started when my son was toddler age as I wanted to be able to keep up with him and not get out of breath. He’s 11 now and I’ve kept it going, but only stick to (what I am still stoked to be able to call) shorter runs of 3 miles a couple of times a week.

I use a skipping rope to warm up / down (200 various jumps / hops before and after).

Lunchtimes are best for me as I use it to get away from my desk and I found morning runs too hard.

My runs were getting closer to 4 miles until I had a two week break from work recently and - against all good intentions - didn’t run once, but did eat / drink too much and stay up late instead.

Definitely need either of these. Podcasts seem to make longer runs easier as I’m concentrating on that - although it can look a bit bonkers if it’s a Buxton one and I’m running along the side of a field laughing to myself.

Cheers.

Listened to Adam Buxton’s book a few weeks back. It was great. Got the new Partridge for my run today. I remember trying to run listening to Nomad and just couldn’t carry on.

1 Like

Stanton Warriors 2003 Essential Mix and I imagine I’m race fighting my way through a zombie army.

1 Like

Got an entry last night for my first race since February. Race is in 2 weeks, genuinely nervous now as I’m gonna be a little fish in a big pond… I shouldn’t be aloud on bookitzone after a few beers… Does anybody else have any races/events in the pipeline?

Pram pottered round a leisurely couple of miles picking up littlun from nursery this afternoon. Would have gone further but I was late setting off. Bloody lovely weather too.

Now the weather has calmed down this is perfect. Couldn’t handle taking 45 minutes to cool down. I’m off out now in fact.

If anything it was a bit too warm last night. Said 23* on the car later, I was sweating like anything. Still nice to be out though. I generally prefer grey with maybe some drizzle for proper training!

Haven’t run in ages and can’t run. I’m into week to of couch to 5k, I dislike running from whe I was in the forced but I’m trying to change my mindset. I’m hoping getting out a few times a week will help my general wellbeing and some exercise is better then none especially when I’m already overweight.

2 Likes

I absolutely despise it but I think it’s amazing for your well being and mental health. I got really into that David Goggins guy, read his book and it made me make some serious changes. Not too long ago I was on the highest dose of sertraline you can be given, plus 15mg of diazepam that I was given to take a day. And have been on some form of medication most of my life to absolute nothing atm. Since I started cycling/running at the start of this year. I understand this guy is pretty hardcore and not for everyone, but he gave me the motivation to change my pattern of thinking and I managed to lose 5 stone in 6 months. For anyone looking for inspiration on losing weight, running, or just overcoming your mind, I’d recommend checking him out

1 Like

One thing about running I’ve found is that you shouldn’t always be trying to go faster. Overall it’s something to aim for but not with every single run. It’s sometimes hard to not try but if you go a bit slower sometimes then you’ll likely get to where you can actually enjoy it, put in more miles and end up faster anwyay.

if i think ‘i’ll just have a mellow one today’ my pace tends to be better and i can go further.

been having the 3:30am wide awakes lately so ive been too shattered to do morning runs so will try my hand at evening runs. which i usually hate.

Fuck yes. You can do it bro.

Just keep at it and you’ll see progress.

1 Like

Long and slow is as important as hard and fast.

1 Like

As with so many things in life

I’m supposed to be going out in a bit but could quite happily grab some beans on toast and have a ‘power nap’ instead.

When this happens… (weekly - lol) …I just bung my PE kit on and tell myself I’m only going for a little run. Once I actually get out it all sort of falls back into place.

Try that.

Those days are the ones that are best. The days you don’t wanna go out and do it, which is most of the time. But once you’re out, you start killing it. Don’t give yourself time to think or second guess whether you want to run, and just go out otherwise you’re more likely to put it off. Honestly, if you need a pep talk for running just check out David Goggins’ IG. :joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:

1 Like