Continually updated running thread

Excellent - I am the highly suggestable type, so could be worth the tenner. :smiley:

Going out in a bit. Nice and sunny, but windy AF here (Suffolk) today.

I’m not against them - I have 2 here. It’s just too passive for it to be of decent long term use as it really only treats the symptoms, not the cause. It might be worth following these 2 guys on Insta, they drop a lot of knowledge on sports injuries, mobility and strength training which is all applicable to us lot.

1 Like

Thanks - I’ll give them a follow.

It’s all about balance and more importantly consistency (or at least it is for me).

I stretch/yoga/foam roll every day along with doing some basic strength work several times a work ie front/side planks, banded crab steps…

I started doing this every day about a year ago and have not had a single injury since despite doing bigger miles than before.

I dunno, each to their own but it all works for me.

2 Likes

Running aside I enjoy doing it as I find it all very relaxing and calming… It helps me wind down late in the day and I feel happier for it.

I find it interesting that you’ve completely ditched cycling for running. Is it a ‘time’ thing: getting a good workout in 1hr as opposed to 3-4 hours on the bike?

I find I really struggle with motivation for this sort of thing. I feel pretty motivated right now but that’s only because my hip’s killing me but I just can’t look forward to it like I do getting out for a run. Need to somehow get a decent routine going.

1 Like

Yeah a bit of a time thing but I basically started running for something to do on winters nights when it was wet and shite and couldn’t ride… At the same time I felt a bit burnt out with cycling and just wasnt enjoying it the same. Ended up running more and more and just loving all the new goals and adventures that came with it. Still have all my bikes and will deffo ride again one day after running or when I’m injured from running.

1 Like

I’ve been to physio and tried to tick off potential causes but was made harder with such a stop start year and can now draw up a new plan after I’ve got through one for a marathon and add a few more bits to go with the balance board, foam roller, stretches etc. Any recommendation for resistance bands?

A combo of some of these… As for the bands they are super cheap off ebay/amazon.

First used the bands in the 90s when I was forever spraining my ankle skating.

A good shout by someone on the Strava group, take photos of your local skateable spots when out running for us all to view.

3 Likes

Ah shit, been well lazy lately.
On it tomorrow.

1 Like

Anyone got bad back problems from running? Got any specific back advice?
I’m in week 5 of hobbling about after doing some proper damage trying to run too much with zero drop shoes. Can’t work out whether to stick with it gradually or go back to some big squashy comfy sofas on my feet.

On that note - what shoes does everyone run for err running?

Had a few pairs of Pegasus and they were fine and then I got some Nike reacts and they were I dunno weird. I only run in Nikes and someone told me they were the worst and to steer well clear and so now I don’t know.
I want to try them On Cloud jawns.

Cool, will check out the ones kmart has.

1 Like

Getting much warmup in before running and rolling stretching after? Is it something that only happened changing shoe?

I’ve got a few pairs and try to log the mileage in them and rotate them if I’m doing quite a bit. Apart from a trail pair which are adidas all my shoes are Nike with cheap prices at an outlet store and IMHO the best tech especially for a race shoe. I use odessey react, legend react, pegasus turbo, zoom fly 2, and vaporfly next%. I probably have way too much mileage on a few pairs and need to get some new ones by next month and might get a pair of pegasus 37 or legend react.

I’ve never warmed up much beforehand other than a quick walk for a minute or two. I do about 5-10 mins stretching afterwards.
The back pain only happened after switching from Asics Cumulus with a Cuban heel of a gel cushion to a zero drop shoe. Tried to build up slowly but did three short runs in four days and within a couple days couldn’t even walk or get out of bed for a week. Lower back totally ruined and still not right now. Can’t raise my standing left leg more than a foot in front of me without getting shooting pain from lower back down through glute and tingling down leg.

I heard it’s 500miles.
Which I have no clue how to work out.

I’ve just been buying Nike Vomeros for years, keep thinking I ought to try something different but then I think if it works don’t fuck around with it. I’m not chasing any times except my own and not even really that, just running without injury is my main goal.

Saying that I’m still a bit out of action at the minute, my left leg is horrible so I’m just trying to mostly rest it. Started with a hip pain that now seems to have migrated to my thigh. Might get out tomorrow if it’s not too bad, though.

You can put shoes in Strava and it’ll tell you how many miles they’ve done. I tend to change them at about 700km, they’re usually still looking fine but I can always feel a big difference in the cushioning when I get new ones.

1 Like