Covid

Cases are definitely on the rise, let’s hope the hospital numbers keep calm.

Interested as to whether these new cases had a vaccine or not

A couple at work both got it after having had both jabs. Said it was like flu level of nasty so not dangerous but not nice. Obviously not representative of the wholepopulation but it is happening.

Got both jabs booked.
My first one is on my birthday, which I’m stoked about.

3 Likes

Question: Anti vaxers in the family, how are you dealing with them if you have them?

I’ve got one abstainer as opposed to an anti vaxer. If they were a typical anti vax loon that would be one thing. They’d have their ‘reasons’, no matter how demented and baseless, after doing their own ‘research’. One could argue against that or choose to ignore them after injecting, :wink:, a bit of reality into their whacked out world of bullshit. At least they would think they’ve good reason not to have the jab. That to me makes more sense than what I’m trying to understand from a family member. They don’t really have a thought process behind not getting vaccinated- they just ‘sort of don’t like the idea of it’ :man_shrugging: I’ve tried to understand their position, but they don’t even seem to have an argument as to why they’re planning on not going ahead with it. It’s confusing and frustrating given that I always considered them to be a reasonably intelligent individual who generally seems to have their head screwed on. As soon as I mention it they clam up and claim that it’s their choice what to do with their body etc. Save getting angry I’m just leaving it for a bit after having my say and hopefully common sense will prevail.

This is 100% the situation Im in. Really frustrating

1 Like

Sounds like they trust their beliefs over the facts. Unfortunately that’s been a common theme in the last few years.

A tricky situation indeed.

1 Like

I don’t think that they even know what they believe in relation to this. There appears to have been no thought or logic, no matter how skewed, applied to it. It’s impossible to come up with a reasoned counter argument when the other party can’t even clearly state their position. There is the possibility that they have thought about it and simply verbalising their ideas sounds ridiculous, even to themselves, and so they’re embarrassed to even mention them for fear of having their tenuous reasons blown out of the water. At the moment all I’m hearing is just some fuzzy vagueness. Nowt queer as folk, as they say.

They probably believe their immune system is good enough for the job And will deal with covid when they get it if they’ve not had it already.

1 Like

Yep. Im hearing “i dont trust the vaccine, its been made too quickly, censorship of free speech and civil liberties, hoax” etc and a load of other bollocks

Really frustrating as now we could all meet up we’re back to square one because theyre making it difficult

2 Likes

By having a twice yearly phone call relationship with my dad.

2 Likes

Yup

“I am perfectly fit and healthy”

Fucking weapon.

Quite simply this goes back to my post in the pointless topics thread the other day about interpreting information critically and responsibly as a product of education. Most of us are not in any position to be any authority on microbiology, genetics, virology, etc., but for some reason, people like him feel they know more for what’s good for the greater society than what experts tell us.

Also, how many pieces of information have emerged in the news and whatnot where perfectly healthy people got struck down with long covid!? Quite a few prominent footballers were struck down by it and it impacted their season. Iirc Pogba took months to recover from it.

The other thing that I really just don’t think people like him understand or care about is the trade-off between individual v societal choice in getting the vaccine. Notwithstanding my point above about healthy people still being vulnerable, the largest reason for us all getting vaccinated is to cut off transmission to potentially very vulnerable people. How this still needs to be explained to people after a year of this is just unbelievable.

11 Likes

Alan Saint Maximin was out for weeks, and he’s an absolute specimen of a human being - he was fucked.

3 Likes

i think a lot of these people get their news and information directly from social media and perhaps as a result do not trust traditional media outlets. the whole of the last half-decade plus has been devoted to that populist, anti-expert conspiracy bullshit

2 Likes

They don’t want to be sheeple.

1 Like

yeah following what doreen said on facebook keeps them individual and away from the herd of idiots who follow expert advice. you can’t reason with stupid, they just double down with extra stupid and volume

3 Likes

Ive seen so many people at the martial arts club and wider martial arts community spouting this shit and its ridiculous. “I can bench press so the virus can’t get me” mentality is so stupid I haven’t the words…

4 Likes

If you can’t win or don’t understand the specifics like the debate on the science of vaccine safety then just vaguely rubbish the whole context eg “well vaccines are just stupid anyway so meh”

Classic tactic employed by thickies since the year dot