Covid

Farage is the most recurring guest on QT last time I checked, as leader of multiple parties that have won one seat in parliament between them in their histories

Pfizer 1st dose done. Feel alright.

5 Likes

They gave chummy Boris a nice platform on Have I got news for you…

1 Like

And yeah they gave Farage a huge boost having him on a lot

Media hype or are we on the cusp of a 3rd Wave coming, apparently?

Hard to tell really, as the numbers show cases rising again but deaths are practically non existent. I’m not sure whether these cases are severe (ie. putting strain on NHS/ hospital beds) or people in bed for a week or so. Technically it would be classed as a third wave due to another rise in cases but I’m not sure if it’ll mean restrictions are tightened again or not.

Regardless I’d be very surprised if the big June 21st re opening happens as was expected

2 Likes

I feel like a further/complete lifting of restrictions just doesn’t make sense with cases rising, we can do most things now anyway so why push our luck any further? It seems more about making some kind of national statement to me.

2 Likes

I don’t think we’ll have a 3rd wave that’s actually a danger any time soon. Based on stats last year it seems that nothing we did as a country was every as effective at curbing the virus as hot sunny weather.

The 21st won’t happen though and I wish they’d just come out and say it or at least stop this stupid game they’ve been playing since it started of “we see no evidence to suggest we should’nt go ahead as planned” while leaks are coming out in the press that that’s not what they’re thinking at all. We all know you’re going to go back on your word at the last minute, just come out with it for once and stop fucking people’s plans and livelihoods over

5 Likes

And stop calling it ‘freedom day’ ffs.

4 Likes

Screen Shot 2021-06-07 at 17.25.11

1 Like

Fuck me my arm hurts if I move it.

Whose calling it freedom day?

Mike skinner, sort of

Really???

I reckon the tories are hoping the Indian variant will delay the lockdown so Mr Sunak can scoop up all the money the nation would have spent abroad.

It’s been a busy few weeks since the suns been out and loads of people having weekend and weeks away in the UK.
With no tourism coming in and keeping the public’s holiday money in the UK it all seems a bit dodge . Especially putting Portugal on the amber list so quickly but they took 2 weeks to put India on the red list back in april.

Just stinks of Tory money making .

5 Likes
2 Likes

Not to nit-pick, but if I was Mr. Sunak and truly motivated by placing economic prosperity above everything else then I would imagine prioritising the foreign tourists from US, China, Middle East, etc. over domestic ones would be way up in my list. They spend WAY more!

Personally, I’m not too bothered if the reopening is postponed a bit further if it allows for more people to get vaccinated before further restrictions are eased. We in the UK have it so much better than most countries do at the moment - it’s tearing through South America and Asia particularly.

Totally unrelated and not directing this at you or anyone - just writing my thoughts from earlier today, but I was listening to a podcast about the mouse plague in Australia which sounds like such a fucking nightmare. I know it’s cheesy and everything is relative, but when you take a step back and look at all the shit going on right now around the world - mouse plague in Australia; military junta in Myanmar; military junta in Mali, apartheid in Israel; volcano in the Congo destroying a small city; environmental disaster in Sri Lanka; ISIS West Africa branch ousting Boko Haram → spreading in Nigeria/Niger and Cameron destroying villages and torturing schoolchildren… the list is endless. Really just made me so grateful to be here where we’ve got vaccines, stability and relative peace - just with a backdrop highly punchable politicians.

6 Likes

But realistically they won’t be able to enter the U.K any time soon, so it makes sense to try and recoup tourism profits through us not being allowed leave, even if it is not anywhere near the same levels, as most people will just do day trips or long weekends, ect. We are hosting large parts of the Euros too, so people don’t have to travel aboard for that luckily as well.

4 Likes

True about the tourism and opening up , the backlash how ever would be vote losing.
Getting the nation vaccinated is vote winning too so holding off a couple more weeks of opening will be beneficial for the nation and the governments bank funds especially with how short term everyone’s memories seem to be when with the general public being pissed off with the government.

Of all the ways to say it . Ha . But yeah we’re defo not in the worst place considering

3 Likes

Exactly this

Nice spot.

In the podcast there was a woman describing how she was away for a few days and when she got back she found literally thousands of mice in her house. They were breeding in her oven and there were ‘nests’ of baby mice in her couch. Literally mice everywhere - in the walls, in her bed, pipes… I nearly got sick listening to it.

When I got home earlier I just wanted to hug my tiny flat.

1 Like