Covid

Doctor on LBC was saying that whilst they’re seeing more people coming into hospital they’re not staying long. Not like before when serious cases would come in and potentially stay 4-6 weeks on a ventilator

1 Like

Don’t know why they can’t open everything up but just keep masks as a requirement and encourage social distancing in situations if you can. Dropping absolutely everything over night seems madness, it’s just going to send things backwards.

A return to pre Covid life except you wear a mask on the bus and don’t stand so close to strangers surely can’t be that much of an inconvenience for people

8 Likes

I’m absolutely still going to wear a mask and keep my distance from people in shops, waiting rooms… pretty much everywhere that I have been doing so already.

6 Likes

I’ll still be wearing a mask in shops.

Everyone at my work has to do twice weekly Covid tests so feel pretty safe here to be honest. Everything else I do is with family and people I know who aren’t fucking morons.

3 Likes

Yeah same. Shops, public transport, cinema etc I’ll be wearing my mask - especially as I haven’t had second jab yet. And even after, I can see myself continuing to wear one when necessary for the rest of this year.

I’ve got into the habit of doing it every couple of days now thanks to work shoots.

1 Like

As far as I can tell, pre-vaccine Covid world was where we had a highly contagious virus spread by close contact that caused anything from no symptoms to a few days feeling shit to hospitalisation to death, in larger numbers than any other contagious virus doing the rounds. Plus some extra novelties like long Covid where you slowly die over years.

Post-vaccine Covid world (where we’re getting to quite quickly) is exactly the same apart from a much lower death rate and reduced hospitalisation rate. Fair enough.

But if you scrap masks etc and leave it up to employers to decide then if they’re like mine who seem set on “getting back to normal” (quote from our leader at work today) that still means you’re asking people to pile back in and risk at best a few days off work feeling like death (and all the hassles of who looks after the baby, so the partner has to take holiday) or maybe the whole family gets ill or someone gets long Covid or whatever. They’re comparing it to flu now or norovirus at my work, downplaying it. Point is, even hospitals shut their wards when they get a norovirus outbreak. No one would be dragging everyone into a workplace with a raging flu outbreak.

Yeah they can’t keep going on with the restrictions for ever but at this rate you’re basically going to have Covid friendly places and non Covid friendly places. You’ll have to choose your employer by their risk appetite for Covid.

Not totally sure where I’m going with this but it doesn’t feel right.

9 Likes

“Getting back to normal”

lol

I feel like damaged goods in public nowadays. In the odd occasion when I do have non family conversations I must come across as a crazy person.

A long way from normal imho

2 Likes

To me I just translate that as hoping to pretend it didn’t happen and just going back to how things were in 2019, nice in a way as I’m sure we’d all rather it hadn’t happened but it’s just lazy. Things have changed, some lucky people have moved out to the country for example or they continue to shield as they’re still scared to catch covid or they’ve changed careers etc etc. Trying to force 2019 back into existence isn’t going to work in my opinion.

6 Likes

Wife’s boss’s 14 year old kid has got it. Don’t remember kids getting it first time around.

Schools were mostly shut during the first two waves. We’re just ploughing on now during this wave with a more infectious varient

Right Said Brian

8 Likes

I have been keeping my distance from people all my life. The 19th changes nothing for me.

14 Likes

Daughter has been sent home, and tested positive. This is the first time I’ve had to deal with it, been super lucky so far.

Edit: A teacher friend is saying LFT tests can throw up false positives a lot of the time so get a PCR one (or something like that?) but there aren’t any left near by, nightmare!

1 Like

You can order a PCR test for home delivery - turns up 24 hours later.
I know this because I did one yesterday and waiting for results at mo.

3 Likes

Yeah really think the purpose of the LFT has been poorly communicated (suprise suprise). I know a fair few people in the past month who’ve got negative on there and then a positive PCR. LFT should only really be used for mass testing at large events where no other way is feasible.

Obviously the home LFT does help but I think a lot of people think they’re 100% accurate

Dread to think how many people are doing those LFT and then just going about as normal think they’ve got a cold.

3 Likes

Hoping it’s negative!

1 Like

and yet a cold’s still not listed as an official symptom :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

ridiculous

1 Like

Managed to get a PCR test done. Turns out the Rugby club here is a testing site. Just got to wait for the result now.

Nursery just called, that’s them shut because somebody’s got the 'vid. Need to go and collect the kid and supposedly we need to self-isolate now.

2 Likes