Equipment Thread

Strange. I guess it’s a completely new team/no team at all? Baines, Lewer and Bush all left.

no clue. just says they’re coming back soon and there’s a new team deck out shortly. no idea who is on it or whatevs

How you finding the symmetrical shape?
I picked up his 8.5 and like it but kinda wish it was twin nose rather than twin tail ie a bit longer

yeah, interesting I suppose. Some tricks come easier than others and you’re right about twin tails, rather than twin noses. Definitely couldn’t just start skating one without fresh bushings, so it turns the same both ways - been doing my best to skate it both ways.

It having been a couple of weeks now, I’m wondering how you’re getting on with not favouring either end? I took out a new symmetrical setup for the first time a couple of days ago, and I also figured a complete setup would be the way to go so’s to break my trucks in evenly. Every time I threw down I specifically made sure I was riding it the other way from last time. I couldn’t do pop shove-its at all as I do them off the nose (I only front shuv, don’t fuck with backside) and this thing doesn’t have one, it’s got two tails, and that was really noticeable. More so than I expected.
As the day wore on though, and I was having a mellow skate, it became increasingly evident that I might not be able to just indiscriminately ride it any old way; I’d chuck my board down and nearly fall off. I am aware that I lean though. I think quite a lot. Probably more than even most leaners as i don’t skate switch at all and never have. But as I say, I’ve only had it out once and I’m hurt at the moment so I was taking it easy. How have you been getting on with yours?

Sounds weird and there’s something in me that I think would have me decide that there definitely is a front and a back even if they are the same each way.
Even just a nick in the grip tape at one end or something might help me make that choice.

Do you have to rotate it after each try of a trick? Or wouldn’t one truck naturally over time become the front and one the back?

Fine, no dramas at all, even if the last 2 sessions were terrible. Looking at the wear on the tails, they’re both the same, one truck might have a small bit more grinding wear than the other and both ends have some suede debris from kickflips at the same part of the nose pocket, if that makes sense. Seems to be working out fine, even if the trucks look a little narrow - couldn’t put them on an 8.375 or 8.5 board. I normally cut patterns into the grip, but not with this and do make the effort to reverse the board direction each time.

If I’m at a skatepark I generally do more than one trick at a time, and so just switched it every time I put my board down.
I’ll keep at it and see how it develops.

Currently riding 8.38 on a 7.875 board, would 7.63 or 8 inch trucks be better? The trucks look weird on a narrow board. Thinking about mini logo trucks

Also, do the bones Swiss super 6 make much of a difference compared to reds?

Thanks

Get a set of Independent Hollow 139s, they’ll fit any board from 7.875 to 8.125 perfectly. You can get Thunder trucks if you prefer these, or Ventures if you’re really into Bobby Worrest. I’ve been skating Independents and nothing else for over 20 years and can’t complain.

I have no idea about Bones Super 6s. I get Bones Reds all the time and they never disappoint.

1 Like

Thanks, I can’t seem to find Independent hollow 139s anywhere but I’ll go with 8 inch trucks though as you recommended.

Having changed my trucks, it’s as you describe, yeah, totally indistinguishable. And fun.

There’s a model called Hollow but most pro trucks from Indy (like the Reynolds) are Hollows too. Get a set of Reynolds 139s.

1 Like

scaled down to 8.375 from 8.6, probably gonna replace the 56mm waywards too. not bad wheels by any means but after skating a friends board with stf’s i realized im definitely missing some slide.

My five year olds ready to try skating. She already stands on mine and I push her about but has anyone else got a young kid skating successfully - did you go for a small proper set up (7.5” and 50mm) or a penny board first? She’s pretty strong/robust for her age and I kind of want her to have a proper set up but obvs a penny is cheaper and more her size.

I went small set up for mine. He wanted to learn to drop in and ride ramps a bit so definitely wasn’t going to get a penny board

Really depends what they want to do I guess. Native sell some decent mini boards

Something like that?

Thanks. It’ll just be flat ground and little local park for now, no ramps near us.

It’s a bit naughty but I was also going to get one that i can skate if she loses all interest. Relive the 90’s and get a 7.5 popsicle, low ventures and 50mm wheels, no risers

1 Like

Shall we create a “post your kids skating” thread?

2 Likes

How about pads and helmet - yes or no? The parent bit of me says of course, dickhead, but the skater says it’ll be fine

1 Like