Equipment Thread

Nerding out here with a new board review.

Bought this from @anon3368876 and it arrived today. Symmetrical 8.25" Real Ishod board, Thunder 147 highs, 54mm Spitfires. Good stuff bascially. Main thing here is the symmetrical board. It looks a little wierd underfoot as, like most, I’m used to seeing and using a nose large than the tail.

Trucks - have only skated Aces in the past 10-12 years, the most recent pair with hard Bones bushings, but not tight. Left the trucks as ParmaViolet had left them and they felt mad tight. Put the Bones bushings in the Thunders and they felt like steel, so replaced the stock bushings without the bottom washer. Too loose, so put them back in, put the nut flush with the kingpin and it seemed fine. Not as responsive as Bones bushings, but fine in terms of turning, control, etc. for now. Odd things for me are how much lower and narrower than Ace 44s they look and how the hard Bones don’t work.

The symmetrical board is definitely a little unusual. Can’t imagine skating a board like this without new trucks as I think old trucks would have more of a lean one side or the other. Bit of personal challenge to avoid developing a distinct tail and nose.

Shove it variations are a little over the place, while kickflips are pretty consistent. Finding the tail pocket for manuals was difficult. Probably great if you need to shove in and out of everything, not exactly possible for me, interesting experience in adapting heavily to a new setup.

/coolstorybro

6 Likes

Been back skating just over a year and have a question. Do higher trucks have better pop or am I just imagining it? I’m currently on mini logo trucks and am finding I’m not popping as high. They’re low, same as venture lows I think whereas I had Krux which were high trucks before. To be fair it could be my terrible technique. Thinking of getting some indies to replace these mini logo trucks.

You need to watch the Paul schmitt 9 club. Yes, low trucks are good for tech tricks, high trucks for pop.

2 Likes

Long but there’s some amazing stuff in there

4 Likes

Thanks, just watching that episode. I’ve got a 1/4 inch riser so might try that or get some indies as I’ve always wanted to try them. My ollies definitely need some work but will go back to high trucks. My ollies need all the help they can get!

How high are you looking to pop exactly because I’ve generally had low trucks and been fine.

To be honest it’s probably mainly my technique. I’m struggling to pop only as high as a foot. I remember I was getting better ollies on higher trucks though. No doubt I’ve just got to practise. I guess the way to practise would be to try and ollie over obstacles.

Up stuff is less daunting.
Over it, at least my take, there is always this fear of hanging up, even if it would fall away on impact you’d still fall down from whatever height you reached.
Up something, you just land on the obstacle, whether that be sprawling out on it or running out of it, rather than suffering the fall too.
If that makes sense?

2 Likes

Thanks, yh that makes sense. I recently managed to ollie up a low kerb so will find higher ones then progress to perhaps a low ledge.

4:13

You wouldn’t fancy falling back to earth after fucking this up.
Bet bailing that was more comfy than if you fucked up on something so high from flat to flat.

Fabrics insta seems to suggest they’re back. Got a deck and it’s got “made in PRC” laser etched on it. Really nice deck too. DSM factory maybe?

I’ve never bothered cleaning my bearings and can’t say I’ve noticed any difference with other people’s boards who do. Does everyone here do it?

i’ve literally never cleaned my bearings. Reds are £16 (assuming Route One haven’t bought them all), my time is worth more than that :wink: the only person I know who ever cleaned his bearings, they were super fast for one skate and then seized up. massive waste of time

I clean mine every time I get a new set of wheels (once a yearish?), and I’ve had the same set for 10+ years. Still spin great.

If you drop £60 on swiss i’d suggest cleaning them after 1 year.

Pop the shields and put them in white spirit for a couple of hours. The finish them with a bit of lube.

1 Like

ah we’ve gone back to this discussion. who the hell spends £60 on bearings :sweat_smile: :wink:

Someone who loves their skateboard and understands how important rolling resistance is when landing tricks?

it was a joke. hence the weird yellow faces. we talked about this for fucking hours like 300 posts ago in this very thread. and don’t you dare bring my love for my skateboard into this!

1 Like

hahaha.

I’ve found with mine that you have to properly take them apart and clean every part. You can get a lot of impacted grime on the races and ball bearings that soaking them just won’t get out. It’s laborious, but I clean the races with cotton buds and white spirit and polish each individual bearing. There’s no way I’d do this if I just ran cheap sets of reds and not 6 balls.