Equipment Thread

Heavy claim! We talking cool street skaters or ex vert balding creep pros here or what

Every pro I speak to rides Bones Swiss and tells me that everybody they know does too. It’s a total no-brainer. If you skate for a living you’re riding Swiss, whether you’re got a Bronson or a Modus or whatever sticker on your board or not. Vern Laird makes sure everybody out there is running the best bearings.

3 Likes

Damn you all for really nearly convincing me to buy bourgeoise bearings I really want them now

2 Likes

This quote about it actually even went in.

Is it right that everybody rides Bones bearings, regardless of what bearing company sponsors them?

Corey Duffel: Come on, of course! We all know those other bearings suck. All you have to do is follow Vern Laird on Instagram, and you’ll see him constantly post emails from guys who ride for these new bearing companies asking for some Bones. He’ll screenshot and post those emails. Even the guys who ride for these other companies know that Bones are the best. Bones are what everybody skates, yes.

2 Likes

Amazing. Well I haven’t skated for nearly 5 months so maybe the money I’ve saved on shoes and other bits whilst I’ve been injured is a nice way to think about getting into the pro league bearing game finally

8 Likes

Definitely getting some swiss, formula 4s and titanium trucks in the spring.

Might even get a lib tech board for the cherry on top.

1 Like

Oh yeah defo! I thinn what happened somewhere down the line was that I used to spend like 25 quid plus on bearings, but anyone’s I bought where the shield comes off used to just crack and split and get fucked quick, so for years now I’ve rode quid bearings and they last the same as the expensive ones. As I said before though I don’t mind skating home in the wet and stuff. Last time I got some full bearings though was some of the better quality Bronsons and they lasted ages so I’m pretty keen to give the Swiss a go. It’s nice to change your set up around a bit too to see how stuff changes or makes a difference.

1 Like

Gotta pop those shields :+1:t3:

1 Like

Not if you want them to last! If you’re going to splash out I’d deffo pay a few quid extra to get the 6 balls. Considerably better than the normal swiss imo.

Bearings are basically the only contact point on a skateboard.

They need need as little resistance as possible which is why Swiss are the best option as they’re the hardest.

The reason they’re so fast is because there is less rolling resistance but this also helps when landing as the force of a human on a tiny metal bearing is not very forgiving.

They’re THE bearing for fat cunts like me.

2 Likes

I once skated the same set of Luckys Abec 3’s for about 8 years. Not even sure if they still exist as a company but probably my most cost effective skateboard purchase.

just realised that i’ve never in my skateboard ‘career’ had anything close to a decent set of bearings.whatever is cheapest.
this may have been my downfall.

3 Likes

I thought I’d try something different from my usual bones reds and got some Andale “swiss” (blue ones in a box not the ones in a tin) they’re awful, was suckered in by cheapness and the word Swiss I think. I’ll keep them on till the weathers better but they seem to slow down after each skate and I have to clean and lube them once every few weeks, back to reds I think, but the Film Trucks Raw bearings also have caught my eye maybe its the word RAW this time

Going to get a set of Swiss super six I think when I get paid. I’m convinced! I’ve been reading this article which seems knowledgeable about bearings:

could have been pro with Swiss.

3 Likes

I don’t think I’ve ever spent big(ish) money on bearings either.

My go to set up of late has been 8.25 board, Ventures & 52mm whatever wheels / cheap bearings.

Lockdowns & crusty spots have made me move to a 9.25 with Ricta clouds on a 30 year old set of Indies.

This thread is making me want to try some Reds & F4s on both of these set ups. Maybe even a new set of trucks to retire my indies. Maybe.

I need to upgrade my wheels currently riding 56mm spitfire soft ds 92du. Last set of bearings I got were bones reds big balls, Ron talked me into buying them I was visiting whilst I was away with work and thought why not.

He could sell snow to the eskimos, that bloke!

1 Like

this thread in the last few days reeks of bones conspiracy. is one of you on a commission? suddenly everyone is going swiss!

3 Likes

What makes them allowed to be branded ‘Swiss’? Is it like Arbroath smokies or just some bloke eating a Milka putting them in the box.

2 Likes