Equipment Thread

Yh, was looking at one of those New Deal reissues. It would be cool to have a bigger setup.

1 Like

due to the Bones salesmen on this forum i have been hoodwinked into buying some super swiss 6. they appear to come with some spacer things that go between the bearings, do you guys use them? what benefit do they serve?

2 Likes

You can weigh them in for scrap metal when you have enough.

Na fuck em.

they’re tiny mate, how small do you think i am?

4 Likes

hahahahaha

1 Like

You need every piece of metal to be touching metal from nut to axle in order for the bearing to work properly. If you’re spending the money on bones and not installing them right you might as well be driving a Lambo with Fiat Panda wheels.

More metal more friction. The grooves on the inside of the wheel do a good enough job on holding the bearings in place.

I’m all for ignoring the spacers, but you definitely 100% need 4 bolts holding the truck to your deck. Otherwise the world will end.

2 Likes

yeah otherwise the weight of the board will be unbalanced and all your flip tricks will go wonky. one little truck bolt could ruin every trick for sure :smiley:

I doubt we’ll ever know which is better, I don’t think any of us is going to test it.

This is good in theory but in pracrice they’re never quite as big as the gap molded into the wheels so you have to back the nut off a tiny bit for the wheels to spin so although I usually put them in I’m not sure they really do anything much at all.

I wonder if Chico is running spacers on his 2x4?

Spacers work if they match the gap between the bearing seats. They allow you to tighten your axle nuts right down without pulling the bearings out of shape and getting that weird clicking sound. They add no weight that you’d notice. BUT in my experience Formula 4 wheels have a slightly wider gap between bearing seats, so my standard size spacers don’t work

You’re taking the piss if you think you’re in a position to explain this to anybody here, if you think anybody believes a word you say and if even think anybody gives a single fuck what you think.

3 Likes

@Spanky interested in your view on this.

You’re supposed to have about 1mm give each side of your bearing on the axle. It is supposed to rattle from side to side very slightly.

2 Likes

yeah not loose but a tiny bit of play. otherwise it’s causing friction

It’s not but it’s a personal choice to how you want your bearings to run.
If you want the bearing to work as intended, the shaft part of the bearing needs to be still and clamped so the only moving part and point of friction is the bearings inside.
If you have them loose then the bearings don’t spin as intended because the shaft is also spinning on the axle causing more friction and unpredictability.

I’ll buy that. The ones that are meant to tighten right down are the ones like Seismic Tektons, which have integral spacers with flanges that are designed to meet:

I used to have these in Type-S wheels, but since I switched to Formula 4 the spacer gap seems to be different and they don’t meet. I use regular Bones bearings now

Whatever.

I use spacers, the slim ones for axle bolts and the ones that come with bearlings that go between them. I used to like my wheels rattling around. Then I liked them muted and quiet. Now I like them rattling around again. Doubt it makes a difference, I certainly haven’t noticed one over 35 years of skating.

2 Likes