Equipment Thread

Good shout , flexy and strong when it’s thin.

1 Like

At first glance, resin is fucking expensive

It can be yeah but if you fill the cracks with sand first and then spread a resin layer over the top it will bond with the sand and set rock hard. Also means you need to use less resin.

I’m no expert in this by any means but I reckon a bag of sand and a bottle of resin off Amazon might get the job done.

Or as above a pre-mixed epoxy screed. Probably easier.

1 Like

Honestly, the whole “ventures dont turn” discourse is interesting to me and I almost feel like it should be suffixed with “as much compared to other trucks”. From what I know and what I’ve skated, if you’re going the loose trucks/carvier turns route you’re basically tethered to Indy or Ace, with the former being probably the most used truck out of any brand which given how they turn, most other brands do not turn as well as they do. Something like a set of Thunder 149’s wont (atleast in my experience) turn as well as a set of Indy 149’s, yet they have a turn that feels vastly different from Indy’s in the same way Ventures turning feels different. I’m definitely on the younger side compared to most here so I don’t know what sort of legacy/reputation Venture have, or how their products were x amount of years ago but after 6/7 hours on a set I had absolutely no issues or qualms with turning - obviously you won’t be hitting insanely tight carves by any means, but it’s not like you’re stuck going in a straight line either like most of the discourse suggests.

2 Likes

The way I see truck with less turn is like stabilisers on a bike.
It’s not a diss if you like the stability of ventures , each to their own . God I rode them for years but my flow and balance are so much better now on indys.

1 Like

Never had turning problems with Ventures. I’d say Indy’s have been the worst I have ever seen. Mate always has Indy’s and anytime I have a go they just seem to crab around and understeer really bad. I really don’t get why people say that Indy’s turn the best.

But if you’re used to a certain board /body position then indys will feel weird to you . You’re trying to ride a board with indys like ventures.

I tried riding my mates board with brand new ventures like I ride indys and his board just wanted to keep going straight.

Just my observation

Yeah totally, Ventures don’t turn as well as Indy or Ace. It’s a fact, in the sense that you can’t turn on such a tight curve. They still turn though.

I rode the original Venture trucks in the 80s and back then they were actually a street focused truck with a higher and tighter turning geometry than Indy or Thunder. They had Gonz and Jon Thomas on the team, both of whom were known for loose flowing street skating that involved a lot of turning. The trucks were kind of gnarly and heavy and slightly lower priced than other trucks.

When the truck holes change happened (around 92/93) from the big old school pattern to the new school pattern, Venture came out with an all new truck. At some point (the same point?) Venture also made the first ever ‘low’ trucks designed to be more stable and to turn less. They were definitely in the forefront of the whole low, light, skinny deck flippy era. Everyone was riding Ventures at one point. They also had the best ads and felt bang up to date.

They kind of became so much a part of that scene that other truck companies tried to be more like them and to modernize their trucks to be more like Venture.

Then I am not sure what happened. The other truck companies upped their game and Venture just fell off. Hardly anyone asks for them any more, but there’s still something nice about them in my opinion. Very stable, predictable and decent value. Just seems like more people want to turn and run loose trucks than ride stable or tighter trucks these days. I think if more people were riding skinnier decks Ventures might stage a comeback.

Anyway…wrote more than I planned there haha. Enjoy your Ventures!

1 Like

Anyone had a death deck recently? Haven’t riden one in about 10 years and have a sudden urge to get one. I also like Ventures, but they’re all I’ve known since a brief fling with some tensors in 2009.

I had a Death 9 inch deck. For such a wide deck the wheel base was reasonable, about 14.25 and it wasn’t ridiculously long. The wood is from a good workshop and they’re on the cheaper end, about £40. Discount for forumers from Legacy.

1 Like

Anyone got recommendations for a mellow concave deck between 8-8.5?

Girl concave is mostly mellow. Same as Primitive. But pricier.

2 Likes

Give your local SOS a ring, they will let you know which concave is mellowest

1 Like

The National do high and mellow concave across all if not most of their graphics.

I’ve only skated the high (quite a lot of them), and liked it, so by that logic I’m gonna assume the medium is decent too, ha.

Each board is marked with which too.

1 Like

Cheers @Spanky and @PiledriverWaltz

Had seen (in here I think) girl decks tend to be quite mellow, so will take a look at some of them.

Will take a look at TNSC as well :+1:.

Edit: What are polar like, whilst I remember as was looking at them for a while few months ago.

Peeps riding Film trucks currently - might be only @KeithBeef and @PolarJames but shout if anyone else - how are you finding them?

Got some last week and on first day out they felt great, but bushings are too soft currently - they came with a black set which I assume are standard or medium, but carve like a perfectly cooked Christmas Turkey!

i remember having a Politic deck with a stupidly high concave and I couldn’t get away with it, had a National not too long after with high concave and it was spot on. The mellow ones are pretty decent too.

1 Like

@wheelsofretrospective I skated mine for nearly a year, mostly on mini ramps. Didn’t tighten them at all and they were fine. Mine came with white bushings in though, nit sure if that’ll make a difference.

1 Like

Thanks dude - not sure what white ones are like - did they feel tight?

I’m by no means an expert, but done a little bit of riding on flat and they’re absolutely fine. I haven’t skated anything else other than Tensors on a borrowed board in about 5 years, and they’re definitely better than those, but as for an Indy/Thunder/Venture comparison I haven’t a clue. My only issue with them is my own fault, because I didn’t have a tool when I last rode them and they’re at an uneven level of loose/tight so the front truck wants to carry on going straight while the back is trying to turn because I couldn’t be bothered to keep trying to wrap an ill-fitting spanner around the kingpin nut.

1 Like