Famous people you've met who were cool / dicks

Lee Ryder from Blue. So fucking thick.

My uncle was behind some guy in a shop on holiday, maybe Cornwall, who was having issues with his card or something. He turned around and it was Paul McCartney. My uncle just said “oh hi Paul” without really thinking, but Paul just started chatting, asked about my uncle’s SLR which he had with him, they ended up going through his birding photos and was just generally totally sound and down to earth.

6 Likes

It must be so weird to be famous…the whole ‘for me it was a Tuesday’ thing.

I made sure I didn’t have any talent for anything to avoid it at all costs.

Sure you didn’t mean it that way but maybe watch your wording as this comes across like you’re dissing him for being gay

Loving this thread though

3 Likes

This is well worth a ‘haha!’

Took my Son to meet ‘Grandpa’ from Grandpa In My Pocket on Southwold Pier several years ago - he came across as a grumpy old sod.

More recently met Charlie from Busted / Fightstar and he’s was lovely (also twice as tall as me).

Yeah for real, the novelty of being a “celeb” wouldn’t last long when you realise you can’t turn it off. Sod that.

I see Tyson Fury regularly out running and he always smiles, says hello and wishes you a good day. Seen him before In Asda and Home Bargains and always give off a good vibe to the people he encounters in there. To be fair I wouldnt blame him if he was impatient and short with people as I’m sure he gets mobbed on a daily basis living amongst average Joe public.

This ain’t Florida, you can say gay

1 Like

I have quite a few famous folks encounter stories but here’re few off the top of my head.

When I was a little kid there was a sort of private beach in front of our house. I was building a sandcastle and a small dog came over followed by its owner who was wearing big sunnies and a floppy hat. I immediately recognised her. Before I could say anything more than, ‘I know you, you’re…’ she put her finger to her lips and said ‘shhh, don’t tell anyone’. It was June Whitfield. I ran straight over to my Mum and told her. She went and had a quiet word with June and said that we wouldn’t let on who she was. She posted up in front of our house everyday for a week whilst in semi disguise. Each morning she’d come over and chat to me whilst I was playing. I remember she was really lovely.

Pretty random one, but I once had a long chat about croquet with Nigel Havers. He was, as you’d expect , a nice bloke.

On the subject of lawn sports, I played a few ends of bowls with Mark Little (Joe Mangle from Neighbours). We were both pretty blazed and he was funny as fuck.

Skating in North Beach, SF a random pedestrian struck up a conversation with me after hearing my English accent. When he found out where I was staying he invited me to party which was to be held a few blocks from there. I ended up going and spent a few hours chatting to him and his mates about music and art - it was Winston Smith (the guy behind a lot of Dead Kennedys cover art, amongst other things ).

At Shepperton studios in the early 00’s I bonded with Johnny Depp over a shared love of sour sweets. I’m not really one to be at all starstruck but in his case there was definitely an air of ‘there’s something special about you.’ Same goes for Dustin Hoffman, who I met briefly on two occasions.

Back in the States again and my sister’s boyfriend at the time called me and asked if I wanted to go and grab some lunch with him and a roommate of his. I did. He turned up and my sister had neglected to mention that he was rooming with Jeff Cohen, better known as Chunk from The Goonies. Needless to say he was super cool.

In Morocco this time. On a surf/skim/ skate trip when we were on the beach and a guy shouted over to us enquiring whether or not one of us had a ding kit (bits for sorting out a damaged surfboard). It was Andrew Ridgeley (the other guy from Wham!).Someone lent him what he needed and he thanked us with a large lump of hash.

I bumped into Kate Winslet three times in a month in three totally different locations. On the third meeting I cracked a joke about stalking her. There was a worried look on her face for a second until the penny dropped and she started laughing. She was always pleasant.

I was staying at a friend’s house in SF when the phone rang. I answered it and it was a guy asking if Jaya (Bonderov) was around. I told him that I was the only one home, could I take a message? He said ‘let him know that Jeff called and that Ivory had called him wanting to get in contact with Jaya’. We then had a rambling conversation that went on for over half an hour, culminating in the caller giving me his number and saying I should look him up next time I was in the Santa Cruz area. It was Jeff Kendall.

This one makes me chuckle. My sister and I were on a short sailing trip on a friend’s boat from Southampton to Plymouth. After a hairy night’s sailing and arriving in Plymouth my sister was tired and opted to stay aboard whilst the rest of us went for a mooch about. She heard someone on the boat we had moored next to playing guitar. She struck up some sort of conversation with the guy. She went and got her guitar and, with her always being quite forward, asked if he minded if she jumped on over to his boat. I guess he didn’t object quick enough because she ended up on his boat.

She told him that he was quite good on the guitar and wondered what he was playing. He said it was something he’d written. She said that she quite liked what he’d played and responded by playing a tune she’d written. They went tune for tune for a bit until he made his excuses and left to go into town. My sister explained all of this when we returned. When the bloke came back, I took one look at him and was cracking up. It was Pete Townshend. I told her and she just said, ‘who?’. Exactly :joy:

8 Likes

7 Likes

No doubt researching young buoys for a book.

9 Likes

You’re basically Forest Gump then

4 Likes

Bang goes my Tom Hanks story.

5 Likes

Sorry, thought you meant pro skaters for some reason hence my previous post!

Am distantly related to Allan Donald, the South African fast bowler, met him when he was really hungover. Nice guy but obviously subdued at the time. Still got a mini bat signed by the whole South African cricket team, which he gave me. A cool guy for sure.

2 Likes

I saw Don Letts three times in a week. First at Battersea Park Children’s Zoo and then twice on the street in Tokyo when I was there there a couple of days after. I gave him a curt nod the third time.

4 Likes

Haven’t met many famous people but I was teaching Just Jack how to skate for a while. Got him ollieing up a curb which we were both stoked on.

I’m also fairly distant cousins with Hugh Quarshie (of Holby City and The Phantom Menace) and watched a world cup final at his house, the one where Zidane headbutted that dude.

Met Paul Weller at BaySixty6. He was there watching his son skate. He was pretty friendly

Think my mate taught his son how to drop in

2 Likes

Oh….Went to college with DJ Peter Parker (Fingafing) before he was Peter Parker and just Dan.

Shawnee Smith who was in the TV show Becker (with Ted Danson), and films like Saw 2, ect… used to be in the band Fydolla Ho, they played a local place here. Danny and me got talking to her after, she invited us back to her hotel to party a bit more but the rest of the band weren’t into the idea of having two random guys tagging along, that I’m sure their American ears could barley understand accent wise, haha. So we called it a night.