Film Thread

I loved this. I just watched it on Friday and while some scenes are hilariously OTT (like the bits with the helicopters attacking the train), it was a properly entertaining violent action movie. Couple of poor plot holes like a top level spy/assassin leaving his phone unlocked, but otherwise, great fun.

The Raid was top notch, still need to check out the sequel.

I can’t stand plodding, meandering character studies like a Stephen Poliakoff drama. They bore the face off me.

1 Like

One of my favourite cinema experiences. There’s one fight scene in particular that is so insane that when it finished everyone in my screening cheered

Society of the Snow was very good…Watched that last night.

Nice one, will get round to it over the weekend!

American Fiction, wanted to like it, made a strong point but didn’t find it very engaging, didn’t really care about or believe in the characters, overall it was just boring apart from one or 2 scenes

Tried to watch asteroid city the other night. It was hitting the right notes but I couldn’t get into it. Might try again on a calmer day.

man Wes Anderson films are so hit/miss. sometimes they’re so great/funny/quirky/immersive. other times they feel try-hard and don’t really hold your attention.

3 Likes

I sat through this, was bloody slow.

The scene where the woman gets her face blown off was grim.

Not watched bone tomahawk yet but Brawl in Cell block was good.

1 Like

Yeah definitely way slower than his previous two films.

Bone Tomahawk is really great. It’s basically a classic Western until it’s suddenly not…

He really threw every Wes Anderson ism at that one, it felt really try hard but Jeff Goldbum as the alien redeemed that for me, loved that bit.

1 Like

i watched that Drive By Divas by 50% of the Coen brothers.
it was definitely something and i’m still not sure what to think.
I’m guessing the other brother manages constraint.

1 Like

Hang on, it’s called Drive Away Dolls.

I watched that last night.

I think had it have been released in the era it was set, I’d have loved it.
But…25 years later. I dunno. It wasn’t doing it for me.
I definitely felt a bit phone distracted by halfway through and kind of gave up a bit. Maybe it would have been great with full attention.

yes, its definitely got that 90s ‘we need to shock’ aspect that was definitely a thing for a while.

Accidentally ended up watching an absolutely terrible (in a good way) film last night - Stone Cold.

“A tough Alabama cop is blackmailed by the FBI into going undercover in a violent Mississippi biker gang.”

1 Like

Kermode likes it

2 Likes

That’s a good sign because if a horror film is even slightly average he’ll give it an absolute caning.

Anyone watched this? I’m still trying to pluck up the courage to go in.

Possibly the most intense and fucked up thing I’ve ever watched. Normally when something hits me that hard I have to watch it again, no need with this one as it’s permanently burned into my eyes. When you’ve watched it, do ‘Cosmos’ next, if you haven’t seen that, Zulawski’s final film.

2 Likes

Yeah Possession is unforgettable and essential viewing but make sure you’re a good mind set

Have had On the Silver Globe downloaded for a while now and waiting for the right time to watch that

1 Like