Film Thread

Been catching up on films I missed the first time round when they hove into view on the streaming platforms

This weekend, Revolver

Maybe I’m just not clever enough to “get it” but what a bag of shite

Yeah I watched this at the weekend and also was not prepared for where it went

Zac Efron not getting an Oscar nom is outrageous and shows how out of touch those awards are. Bradley fucking Cooper gets one because he’s a Hollywood kiss arse

1 Like

Do you mean the Guy Ritchie film?

Classic Kermode:

1 Like

That’s the one, poor, trying really hard to be Fight Club

Only one minute into the Kermode review and he is spot on - “Guy Ritchie walked past a book and then told Madonna to look smart”

Just found out one of my favourite films of all time has been uploaded to Youtube in upscaled form.

1 Like

Watched this last night, really good - based on the 2001 Percival Everett novel ‘Erasure’

2 Likes

'tis. Really thought it was great.
That and Poor Things are the two most recent killer films I’ve seen…and One Life.

1 Like

Got round to watching saltburn yesterday, wow best film I’ve watched in ages . What a story line and plot . Absolutely Fucked and highly entertaining even with the grim moment .

2 Likes

Dune part 2 is amazing. If you’ve got access to shrooms/truffles get some in, the bit that takes place on the Harkonnen planet is fucked.

6 Likes

I love how much it has divided people (and this forum). Proper marmite. Great film

3 Likes

I held off from watching it this time on shrooms and know exactly what you mean about that scene , would have been mind bending.
What an absolute visual treat tho , The whole thing was glorious on imax

1 Like

This looks pretty good.

1 Like

That looks like absolute dogshit to me

got vibes of

6 Likes

Mr Pipes!

4 Likes

I’d had some bad luck with films the past month:

Nightmare Alley, boring.
Equaliser 3, it’s Denzel, how bad could it be I thought.
Extraction 2. Like a call of Duty campaign mission, plus the prison fight from The Raid 2 thrown in. Good hangover watch.
Napoleon, what the fuck was this? It felt like Death of Stalin if all the jokes got removed.
Leave the World behind. Great cast, unbearable tension but the ending misses the mark.

Anyway, after putting it off for years because of Mel Gibson I finally gave Dragged Across Concrete a go. Fuck me, that’s a film. Turns out Gibson is perfectly cast. Craig Zahler is a very good director - a better film than Cell Block H, slower, less violet (even though it’s extremely violent haha), yet still brutal and very bleak. It maybe gets a bit close to that pro MAGA, pro cop worldview, but then again, none of the character’s racism benefits their lives in any way, arguably Gibson’s character would have had a better outcome if he hadn’t been so racist.

Anyway, great film and it’s saved a run of mostly average cinema.

I’m looking forward to Napoleon. God knows whether I’ll enjoy it.

The rest of those films you’ve listed all look shit. Not bad luck. Just bad choices. :rofl:

1 Like

Eh, Nightmare Alley was amazing.

Napoleon i fell asleep in and couldn’t be bothered to get back into it.

If you’re boring-averse steer clear of Perfect Days, new Wim Wenders, its amazing, but nothing happens.

2 Likes

I’m really looking forward to it. I find a lack of much happening in a film quite comforting. Did you see Jim Jarmusch’s Paterson?

Yes, very similar in tone.