Film Thread

I’d definitely watch it though

I wasn’t skating when menace were about so have no nostalgia for it. Was it such a big deal? I saw that video where they chased that other guy about and thought they seemed like a bunch of Michael Fabricants.

Yeah, huge deal in the beginning. I remember it getting tired pretty quick though.

Joey and Billy were the most charismatic of the quartet when it started although back then there was very little to go by.

That trailer reminded me of Billy’s mad push down the street.

20 Shot Sequence! First vid I saw after the madness of BPSW and I loved it.

1 Like

A bunch of Michael Fabricants because they’re messing about? No way was that ever a real kicking.

I dunno. I only saw it once ages ago on the world box set or the Rocco documentary.

Suppose you had to be there.

IIRC it went something like this…

It was going to be the next big thing (it kind of was already) then there was a legal fight over who owned the name, while all the legal shite was going on things went a bit flat then the Menace name got changed to City Stars and it just never took off in the same way again.

It wasn’t real but the guy they chased around did end up with a couple of broken ribs because they got a little carried away. I don’t remember his name but he was kind of a hanger-on in their group from what I gather and was quite often on the receiving end of their jibes and 90’s style ‘friendly bulliying’, (which I am well aware is an oxymoron but you know what I mean). I have an idea that the guy in question was a bit of a bullshitter but can’t remember any specific examples or where I got that impression from.

Vert button the Prime section and I like it more than Trilogy.

“C’mon man, please? Maybe just say we broke a couple of ribs or something? We need this.”

1 Like

Well, I guess it worked, haha.

I thought it was Billy Valdez who cracked a rib on the takedown?

I was wearing a Bobshirt Menace star tee about 10 years ago at Deeside park and one of the scouse contingent said Nice Tee then shouted BILLY VALDEZ! in my face.

From Joey’s CBI…

3 Likes

Need to find time to watch this with my kid

I wonder if when we’re all long gone this will be discovered by an alien race, and what the fuck will they make of it

2 Likes

Watching Saltburn - there’s a scene in the first 10 minutes that’s set in early 2007, they’re in a bar and No Cars Go is playing.

But that song didn’t come out until August of that year, so now I can’t settle in to the rest of the film.

4 Likes

The album came out in March, playing the album version?

1 Like

I don’t get the hype. It felt like a feature length episode of Skins. I’m a big fan of Barry Keoghan, and he’s clearly committed here, but the script feels like it’s trying to be debauched without having anything to say - and the big reveal at the end just felt like a way to fill in the gaps.

I liked the 4:3 aspect, and some of the shots were nice, but generally pretty disappointing