Football Thread

Surely streaming has to be the future. I guess it depends how much BT/Sky bid for the next round of TV rights, and how much they are willing to shell out.

You’d be amazed the revenue that comes in per game. I know when Amazon show there games over Xmas the rate that comes in to each club is about £17m per game… could a streaming service being that sort of revenue in?

The amount of broadcast TV money is insane. Not sure if a streaming service could bring that in. At the right price could see a lot of people subscribing though.

Somebody at work worded it one way which made sense to me. All that’s happening is sky/BT are showing the games they would of anyway, but the PL are using sky/BT to facilitate an option to watch those games that otherwise wouldn’t of been shown. But to view those there is a charge which is going directly to the clubs. Admittedly I personally think it’s a bit too high of a charge but still…

Netflix has 182 million subscribers. At £10 a month that means they pull in £22 billion pounds a year. Divide that by the 380 games in a season and you’ve got £57.5 million a game, plus ad revenue which would be massive as well considering it’s live sport. Not saying a streaming service would pull in Netflix numbers but you can see that it probably wouldn’t have to

1 Like

Premier League pay-per-view plan will ‘drive fans towards illegal streams’

1 Like

Let’s see, will Southgate pick the players who have performed best recently for club and country or fall into the usual England manager trap and play the big names who have been consistently average. I wonder I wonder

I’ll eat my hat if Grealish and DCL start

1 Like

Talks of Kane being injured. Hope DCL starts, got De Britney, Lukaku and DCL to have 1+ shot on target at 5/1 haha

1 Like

How the chuff is Maguire starting?!

Other than DCL, fuck that lineup fuck England and fuck Southgate. Wasteman

Such a good opportunity to pick a good squad with players on form. Instead there’s Pickford and Maguire. Has Henderson literally just this week come back from injury?

Hope Belgium absolutely stuff them 5-0 and Southgate gets fired

Fucks sake now people are going to think that was some kind of tactical genius from Gareth instead of a lucky win

1 Like

Did Pickford, Maguire and Dier play?

I just watched the highlights. Very soft penalty for England that and obviously lucky with the Mount winner. It was far from a Southgate masterclass and much more like a lucky win.

I’m Welsh though so I’m still bitter about Thursday night :joy:

1 Like

This. Again it’s fucking stupid to be doing these internationals

3 Likes

Unfortunately I think we’re heading that way, maybe not that quick but yeah

Nah, can’t see football being cancelled again. They’re fighting for fans to be let back in at the moment even with all this going on.

They’ll dither around for ages without making a decision because they’ll be so scared of pissing everyone off by cancelling it. Then everyone will get sick and they’ll cancel it.

I mean they’re all fair points but when multiple games each week are getting cancelled it’s going to abuse mayhem

Most enjoyable bath I’ve had for ages!

1 Like

Different countries are in different situations now. I can’t see them stopping the campions league if the premier does say. So they’ll just keep going. I can see a club trying to cheat at some stage by using covid-19 as an excuse to try and get a game postponed because their best players are injured though, or for some reason like that. Can I put a bet on that happening, haha?