Football Thread

Looking forward to it.

1 Like

I wonder who is going to lose worst, West ham tonight or us in the league Cup final

Interesting VAR anomaly at Burnley vs Bournemouth on Saturday, something the football writer Jonathan Wilson has termed the ‘Wilson scenario’. Basically, in normal play, VAR can only give a penalty if a handball is deemed deliberate. If a goal is scored, however, VAR has to check the run up play to check there’s no handballs - even if a handball is not deliberate, but a goal ensues subsequently, VAR has to overturn the goal.

Bournemouth scored on Saturday, but VAR overturned the goal and awarded a penalty to Burnley for a handball earlier in the play (the ball did not go out of play until Bournemouth’s goal was scored). Now, if Bournemouth hadn’t scored but had missed then there’s an argument the penalty wouldn’t have been given. The earlier handball was not blatantly deliberate (it hit the defender’s upper arm), but because a goal was subsequently scored any non-deliberate as well as deliberate handballs had to be checked for.

1:19 for the incidents:

The handball may well have been deemed deliberate so this whole scenario could be mute but though it was interesting nonetheless.

1 Like

That game was mental!

Wouldn’t say mental, just horrible for Bournemouth and highlights (along with the Lo Celso red card that wasn’t) the worst of VAR

1 Like

Can’t stand VAR at the moment, even though it’s be really kind to United. I hate people saying, ‘It’ll get better, early days’. All that means is that it wasn’t ready to be rolled out and shouldn’t be used yet till they had it perfected.

I can’t see it getting any better. It’s just pissing everyone off and making things less fair than just having referee’s

Unfortunately unless fans stop attending matches altogether I can’t see FA doing shit

I actually quite like VAR. Has made for some really interesting moments. Probably shite if you attend a game though.

Fucking hell Fabianski. Basically should be 2-0 to West Ham. Shocking mistakes, especially that second one. Jeez.

Yeah that was…odd

I mean Liverpool definitely deserved to win the game but still…

He’s had a shocker.

and that sums up west ham. when we finally pull a half decent performance out of the bag, granted against liverpool at 70% our usually most dependable player has a fucking mare

This guy is quite good. Also, how much did Arsenal sell Gnabry for again?

Damn could this be City’s year? I mean I hope not but hey

1 Like

They absolutely bossed that match.

De Bruyne. Wow. Always WOW.

1 Like

Is this City’s first big result away in CL or do I have a short memory?

beating Real, at Real, in the CL last 16? Must be one of the clubs biggest results ever

The Sterling substitution was a masterstroke. Really freed De Bruyne up.

Fucking LOL at Arsenal.

after that amazing auba goal as well.