Get Lesta ‘Darling’

Everyone forgot about Casper’s Foz faze quickly.

2 Likes

I’m happy to see people happy and in the place they want to be so the transparency of that pocket of London skating doesn’t make me cringe like it used to.

I wrote a massive essay about this video and it’s juxtaposition with the cool London scene and how they can’t exist without each other but I’m not very smart or wordy so I deleted it.
My take away from this vid as someone who grew up on the periphery and sort of part of that partly snide, partly circle jerk (but also very fun and full of pleasant people also) scene in London, is this:

Pros:
-Great spots
-Great moves at great spots
-Far superior music choices than previous GL videos (although I still didn’t think the music was on the mark)
-Crew has remained mostly the same, but has a few welcome additions (namely Palmer)
-Palmer did mental stair/gap stuff
-The video reminds us of a major part of British skating outside of London that was consistently highlighted in sidewalk and document but has since fallen foul of media representation (until very recently)

Negatives:
-Music was better but still doesn’t quite work. I think the series is quite overcast by Callun’s previous commitment to ‘funny’ and bland pop music choices. I’m not sure if it’s ironic or if he likes the music
-few lingering shots of people’s faces and ‘lifestyle’ could have been cut. Unless somethings really funny or interesting don’t put it in for the sake of it
-Big NO to footage of people shouting and screaming in skate videos

Although a little bit nasty, my final recap is:
Great spots, great skating, great dedication to a project, great dedication to a sub culture. I can’t help but feel that these videos would be a lot more impactful if cal was filming and driving the hard work and someone else was editing

Edit- turned into an essay anyway. Sorry
Edit edit- forgot to mention bushy. I really like his tech skating and through brief irl meetings he was super friendly and nice, which always helps when watching a video

4 Likes

Thought the music was great but Born Slippy could have been edited-to a bit better. Other than some lager at the “Lager lager lager lager lager” bit it didn’t really match up.

I’m gonna watch it in bed again tonight with head phones on.
I’m partially deaf atm cos I have shit going on with my ears so I’m going to give it another go based on your recommendations as a pro music man.
My comments about previous bad music choices might have just influenced how I heard the soundtrack but I’m still skeptical

God, don’t do that. I mean that I thought the music was a good fit, not that there was anything outstanding. Mostly sings you’d have thought would have been used before but that’s got to be a good thing.

Skate video music has got good again, now that it’s opened up a bit. Everything was a bit samey for a few years there.

i know an absolute donut who went down london for 2 weeks for something work related and came back saying fam and bruv in every sentence with the most forced accent of all time

hilarious when he’d forgot to keep the charade up and you’d get a bit of north east accent/slang mixed in with his god awful rendition of london.

2 Likes

there was good music in this, some surprising stuff but only because I know the stuff so well.
Surprised you you liked the music builda seeing as there was some Mogwai in there :wink:

People that like mogwai are the same type of vermin that listen to Sigur Rós…bellends??!

I rewatched today focusing on the music to see if I could work out what didn’t feel right.

I think a penchant for daft/funny tunes to serious skating in the past videos kind of made me default to thinking there was something wrong with it.
On a re watch, the music isn’t bad at all, it just doesn’t work in this setting for me.
Alex halford skating to Bob James (or someone similar?) was wildly mismatched. The rest wasn’t as overt but it just didn’t quite hit the mark for me, editing wise.

I’ll never knock the effort, level of hard work and output or spots in the video, but feel like an extra month of sitting on the footage and playing around with some other choices could have really helped here.

ha, be interesting to hear what you consider decent listening material?

I kinda get you Gcon, while the tunes were fine the song sections were not utilised to make the footage sit in there perfectly, that’s maybe why certain things didn’t match.

The badbadnotgood track was a nice choice but the song dynamics didn’t match the footage dynamics.
The Sinead O Connor track felt strange because I can’t unsee the chaos section on 411 issue 7.

1 Like

On a positive, bushy’s first track worked well, the skater and song fit together.
And I get that it’s a nightmare trying to find music that works, editing is really tough, I could never do it.
I’ve lingered more on the music and not the spots when posting about this video.

The spots were a stand out to me and I’ve already been on Google maps sussing some of them out from shop names and the like.
My main takeaway from the video is how great and diverse the spots are. The music/editing is a minor quibble in the greater scheme of things

2 Likes

LOVE that there are others out there doing this :heart:

1 Like

Rootes grocery store

Callun is a legend. Everything from the first “Lesta on Lock” video that first surfaced around 2009 onwards to this latest video have all been enjoyable - and he’s rolled with the punches throughout the years.

I’ve been on endless sessions with Cal when he’s been filming, and even when he’s just been driving people to parks in the summer. The dude never expects anything from anyone, no money, nothing. Really dedicated to the cause of just filming a good video with his mates.

In my opinion, this video feels like it’s returned back to the first two Get Lesta videos (including the "Lesta on Lock” full length & the original GL video) solely down for the spots, and those skating throughout the video. Pure friend video through and through. Plenty of hometown spots and hometown hitters. I really enjoyed this video a lot.

Only suggestion - heavier music throughout, but that’s coming from someone who enjoys Black Metal, so I can’t really weigh in on an opinion music wise.

Big up Callun, rad video
<3

9 Likes

There are enough West Mids locals on here - you can just ask :wink:

1 Like

Not made it to the end yet (blaming time / family hogging the TV) but have watched Marcus Palmers section twice now.

I knew I’d seen him in a mag recently - his nollie heel photo on p45 of the latest Companion (#4) caught my eye - ace!

Should get a chance to catch up with this and the other recent vids later.

Alright then! Let’s see if this new process works……

Double bank that Tricksy heelflips into and Ollie Lawrence fs shoves into?

3 Likes

Alton Towers?

1 Like

well it’s not West Mids :wink: - it’s Nottingham at the uni edit: Uni of Nottingham, not NTU

4 Likes

Currently some maintenance being done near the roll up. Might hinder people. (This is where I work)

1 Like