Gone Skateboarding?

I think I have only ever snapped 1 kingpin in my life and the deck’s 2 years old now already so actually looking forward to it going!

2 Likes

i don’t even know how to respond to this. 2 years old?? is it a tooth pick now? i’ve never snapped a thunder kingpin. snapped a fair few tensors (they don’t seem to get along with bones bushings). snapped an inde

Still in ok shape

1 Like

Genuine middle age grom comment here, but I thought boards lost their pop after a while and needed replacing (if you wanted to try doing anything that involved an ollie)?

That’s been one of my excuses for buying new ones for the last 15 years anyway.

Some people can’t skate boards once they lose their pop, but I don’t mind.

If you’re reading Tyshawn you can sleep soundly tonight mate.

6 Likes

that professor schmitt nine club was really interesting and confirmed what most people already knew - even landing a trick perfectly 100 times will damage the wood structure and reduce pop. kicking your board all over the place and landing badly will damage it much quicker

i usually skate a board for about 2 months and then begrudgingly change it for a new one. every time i have that amazing new board pop for a week or so and always tell myself i’ll change them more quickly (and then never do)

so many tricks are just easier with fresh board pop. i like nollie tricks but holy fuck they’re hard to get any height with an older board

disclaimer - i’m old and any height means literally an inch off the ground

5 Likes

Nanotubes, homes. It’s all about the nanotubes.

3 Likes

I get a new board every 2-3 years. I’m just lazy and can’t be arsed to set up a new one.
I actually like riding an old deck.
I don’t replace wheels for a few years either.
I think when you’re bang average like me it doesn’t make that much difference.
The one exception would be nollie heels, get much closer when I get a new deck. Still don’t land them though…

1 Like

Quickest was 4 weeks this year. I was skating loads when the nights were light until > 10pm. Solid 2 hour solo sessions maybe 3-4 times per week on slightly rough tarmac.

I should take old boards down the local indoor for them to give away tbh, they still have life in them. Get my knee better and Christmas done first I reckon.

Nanotubes. Fuck off schmitt. Those tubes are what is left form the xylem and phloem that formed the trees vascular system before it aged a year and was converted from dynamic mass to static mass.

3 Likes

I’ll usually leave my old decks or wheels at the shop whenever I get a new one. More often than not they’re knackered though.

A few weeks back I was skating a car park where I never see anyone else. A group of five or six kids arrived. Probably 12/13 years old. All of them had brand new everything - setups,shoes, clothes - all of them bar one that is.

The one kid with a squared off razor tailed blank, non branded clothes and a pair of old Dunks that had seen better days was really cool and ripping. His mates, on the other hand, couldn’t really skate and seemed like a bunch of spoiled little twats tbh.

I skated with the kid and chatted with him for a bit. (Whilst his mates were busy ‘tagging’ the ground with Lynx deodorant cans). I got the impression from him that his friends were all pretty well off and got new stuff whenever they asked for it and weren’t actually all that into skating. I asked what size board he was riding. It was a 7.75. I said I had a virtually brand new 7.75 at home and if I saw him at the car park again I’d let him have it. He seemed stoked but I got the feeling that he thought I was just bullshitting him.

A little after that his mates said they were heading off to get burgers. The kid said he didn’t have any money and couldn’t afford to go with them. They were like, ‘shame, see ya’, and just left him. I was already leaving when I clocked that l, and it played on my mind on the 10 minute skate home.

I got in and fished out the board I’d mentioned to him. I bought it and new Venture 5.0s just to see if I could size down again for flatground/nostalgia purposes. After a couple of half hour skates on it I realised it was too small and I couldn’t be arsed with it. I thought I had the trucks off it but it was still set up. I grabbed it and thought to myself, I’ll skate back down there with it and if he’s still there, he can have it.

He was still there skating on his own. I said to him, ‘ I know I’m just some random old dude you met in a car park and it might seem a bit weird to you but here you go’ and handed him the (pretty much) brand new Chocolate Yonnie Cruz * with spanking new unground Ventures. He couldn’t get his head round it. Beyond stoked doesn’t even cover it. I had to explain that the board was absolutely no use to me and that this is how skaters used to behave towards each other - now skating is so widespread and popular it’s sort of lost that to some extent. But here you go, no strings kid, just keep skating. I didn’t hang about and just skated off. I turned round and he was just standing there, new board in hand, staring at it. He did yell, ‘thanks!’ at me. Man that felt good. I think I was more stoked than he was.

*yeah, I know, Yonnie Cruz. Kid didn’t have a clue about any of that though.

18 Likes

That’s awesome. That kid will probably remember that for the rest of his life. Shit about his ‘mates’ fucking off for food without him. That just smells…

As long as he doesn’t catch herpes from the Yonnie deck it’ll be all good!

2 Likes

I hate brand spanking new boards, they feel really stiff and break easily.
When I set up a new board I skate it very mellowly at first, I basically only do tricks I know I’m not gonna miss during the first 2 sessions, just boardslides, wheelies and shit like that. Gotta break it in. Had to do that last night, it wasn’t really fun, but it’s part of the game when you’re a big guy who doesn’t get 10 free boards a month I suppose.

4 Likes

Oh yeah 100%. I was more talking about the pop than the board feel etc

New grip tape it the worst

:face_vomiting: always sand it down.

3 Likes

So do I.

1 Like

I love a brand new board to be fair. Iv got some Lurpivs to set up. Might have to order some F4’s and new board. Passport and Polar I think.

Skating a Palace board not really backing it.

3 Likes

Got a Passport atm it’s vv nice

Yeah I do mine loads, like to be able to slide my feet about though

Loving Magenta boards although they’re BBS/generator so basically anything from there will likely be similar

1 Like