Guitars n stuff

If it’s scratching sound then yeah it’s likely to be a combination of angle of pick with playing style so you could try a thinner pick and try and change the angle of the strike so it’s not as saw like and you could EQ it out a tad on the amp. You could lower the Pickups too.

Nah I’m just outside Blackpool. My first thought was to check my local shop but theirs all go from at least £500 to many thousands. There’s Rimmers a bit further away and they sell those Yamahas.

I’m with the others, it’s gonna be more down to the pic surely. Also, I’m really jealous you have an SG and I hope you play much ACDC at high volume on it

Cheers for the advice. Yeah weird one, never really noticed it until recently when we’ve been playing and I fucked about with the bridge last year so was just thinking it might be something to do with that. Standard .4 pick and pretty average strings too. Might just play about and check online and actually measure the action or something! Yeah I love the sg, got it super cheap while back off a dude that was going in the army and wanted to sell it quick. It’s a black one so more sabbath than acdc when I got it haha.

2 Likes

After the recommendations here I read a few reviews and went with this:

And a little Vox headphone amp thing. Exciting!

1 Like

This stokes me out massively

I was going to go into this… The 012 is the base level but 112 is better.
A good option.
If you’re locking yourself into headphones, it’s worth considering the quality of those too.
A decent set of closed Sennheiser phones cost me 60 quid and they were reduced from about 100 because they were launching their more recent bunch.

No idea how much those new Boss amp headphones are but they are meant to be crazy fun. Placing a virtual amp in an imaginary room in your head.

These?

yeah, not my thing but could be an option for people who can’t make noise but want to crank a decent sound, I bet the’re expensive actually, not looked ha.
Edit: just seen price above.

Probably same software as that sennheiser VST.

Possibly. I’ll stick with what I have and save myself almost 400 quid.

yeah, I didn’t think they would be that much but they are meant to sound good.

Just spotted someone selling a Squier very locally that I’d never heard of or seen for 70 quid.
It’s an M-80 and is in need of some rescuing in the electronics area.
Not having seen one before, I’ve done a quick bit of research and they seem quite reputable and desirable.
I can’t justify having another, can I?

3 Likes

Might as well. Nowt else to do. I’ve never played and not musical at all. But after reading this thread, I’m feeling keen.

1 Like

Get it, if you don’t want it I’ll take it off you :wink:

1 Like

Had these two for over ten years now. Epitome of rad dad bedroom guitarist stuff right here:

1 Like

I’m worried now in case learning to play the guitar late in life is like someone who tries to learn to skate when they’re older. Because I’ve seen this and they can stick at it and learn a bunch of tricks on a mini ramp etc. but no matter how much they try they just never look at home on the thing. But then again they have fun, so there’s that.

1 Like

Learning to skate post 30 is hard for people because it hurts more, the fear is real and there’s no group comraderie to help you progress. Learning the basics when you’re with your mates as a kid is easy and fun

Learning guitar at any point in your life should be fine. There’s loads of different approaches to this so look online. You’re not going to pick up a guitar and be the equivalent of Tom Penny immediately. As with anything worthwhile it takes time

Fender are currently offering their learn to play service free for three months. Fender Play | Guitar Lessons by Fender

All the best, you’ll be fine learning to play. I find getting inspired by songs I really like and learning to play them helps.

1 Like