Guitars n stuff

Nice man, I sometimes wish I could play something. There’s a piano downstairs, keep thinking I should try that but it’s so loud. Toying with the idea of getting a guitar and amp so I can use headphones and practice without annoying everyone or waking them up. How much for someting that’s not total junk?

I’ve been buying 2nd hand guitars pretty cheap and fixing them up while improving them to my taste.
That electro acoustic I’m using there was 80 quid. It’s a Yamaha Apx 500 and I’ve seen them for nearer 200 recently.
I gave the fretboard a good clean with 0000 grade steel wool, wiped on some lemon oil then put on some nice strings and it’s lovely.
Helps to know what to look for to avoid buying something that’s too hard or expensive to repair.

Never to late to learn a thing. Money wise I’m sure you could get something for like £50 from a used instrument shop. Really depends on what you want to play

Advice I should really take on board myself but, go to a guitar shop and feel what the different guitars are like.
Once you’ve kind of found something that ‘fits’, shop around, maybe second hand like I do, and go from there.

2 Likes

And no point being snobby about brands, if you like the sound and feel then go for what you like. I had a squier that lasted me for years and it sounded so nice. Have owned a few fenders since but never could get the same clean sound out of them that I used to get with that one. Oh well.

You could get a used squier strat or an epiphone something, or a starter acoustic for under 100 easy. And if you’re not sure if you’re going to stick with it you can get little audio interfaces for like 30 quid that you plug into a laptop

2 Likes

My first was a squire, loved it

Love my Focusrite 2i2

You get way more for your money with lesser brands. Yamaha are always on point with low budget guitars.

2 Likes

I have always used focusrite too, still using an old sapphire pro40 paired with a dynamic octopre.

2 Likes

I got a gear 4 music classical guitar for about £30 refurbished. It’s good for the money.

2 Likes

The Yamaha Pacifica is a decent starter strat, they do increase in quality throughout the models.
Starter packs are pretty good value.

1 Like

Cheers for all the advice. It’s lockdown that’s got me started with this idea so obviously going to a guitar shop isn’t on the cards. Do like the look of those Yamahas. Hmm.

Do you have a budget?

Ah shit yeah.
I’m not even sure how I managed to forget.

Say £200 give or take.

Ooo could do with some advice actually if anyone’s got any suggestions- I can really hear the sound of my pick on the strings when I’m playing at the moment, especially when I’m at practice or playing loud. I play a Gibson sg standard. Would raising the action help dya reckon?

My local is great, really helpful and they are still posting guitars out. Mate works there so I can message him and get the lowdown on certain guitars. Are you in Stoke Markg? Not sure where I get that idea but if so, this shop isn’t that far.

https://www.guitarsuperstore.com/aria-retro-1532--vintage-white-5577-p.asp

what kind of pick sound do you mean?
What kind of sound are you using, distorted sounds?

Compressor maybe?

What guage strings and thickness of plectrum?
Height of the strings wouldn’t matter I wouldn’t have thought.

After thought, unless they’re too close to the pickups but rather than raising the action, lowering the pickup might be an alternative if that is the case.

1 Like