In the news thread

It’s a fantastic video though. Perfectly captures the zeitgeist.

World’s about to see what a real coup looks like.

Yeah, because people only follow news stories that play out like either Disney cartoons or action movies. All that other stuff, like people talking, is so boring lols.

I wonder how long it’ll be before the news offers meme-subtitles.

2 Likes

You’re proving my point lol, it really is perfect

I read stuff too you know

And I find meme culture cringey

I don’t mean you, I mean a lot of people in general.

People who think the news is boring and only look up when it’s a pretty lady doing a thing. It’s such a tedious trope; “Ooh, music and gunfire! Dancing and tanks! Brutality and a baby doing something cute!” It’s like news reporting is turning into an Athena poster, so that the Love-Island generation can engage with tiny parts of it and - crucially - share it on their socials (not meaning you @Dent_Face obv) Because reporting the news is a business.

More people share things like this than vote in council elections, and that’s a problem. That’s a problem that ultimately led to Brexit, I’d say. People feeling disengaged with politics because they refuse to try and engage because Strictly’s on anyway and that one from Casualty I like is on it and she’s very good you know.

It’s nice that these things are created and shared, but there’s a real danger of trustworthy news outlets feeling obliged to be more ‘entertaining’.

15 Likes

Now, that is a post.

1 Like

Talking to them about it like that is sure to get them more engaged though!

3 Likes

Now, that is a response.

Not even taking the piss.
Any angle to get people up to speed on what is going on is good.
So long as the entire news doesn’t end up like a running meme, then cool. Hook people in then slap them with what is going on in the world.

1 Like

Do you think these folk will be all, “Oh cool, a surfing dog! Now let’s see what’s happening to those British nationals being held in Hong Kong for taking part in the protests!”?

“Yeah, of course i follow the news. There’s a dog that can surf.” more like.

1 Like

I think Dunbar’s number is very relevant in this discussion.
People generally don’t want to hear the bad news and switch off, but when they actually have to engage- Brexit , their lack of knowledge and pride in not being wrong then leads to the place and times we are in now.
Social media magnifies and polarises news like it never did before too.

3 Likes

I wouldn’t be so dismissive of social media. I think platforms like Twitter can help people appreciate that there are things going on in the world. It is useful for raising awareness.

I agree, though, that it encourages a general laziness and shallowness of engagement. I see news articles cobbled together from a bunch of Twitter replies and despair. There’s also a whole set of privileges embedded within viral internet culture, that echo disadvantages within society - it is much easier to have your voice heard and amplified if you have lots of followers or a blue tick. It is much easier for a wealthy person to achieve this.

I also dislike how sharing content doesn’t lead people to do any of their own research. People end up sharing the most dodgy sources without a second thought, and help boost the platform of some rightwing nut job. I’m sure I’m not the only one who’s noticed a British Olympic hopeful sharing some dodgy anti-lockdown content - the woman in a lot of his videos, who’s presented as a professional, respectable medical voice, took part in the Capitol riots.

2 Likes

Also the woman in the video repeatedly does dance routines at that spot, so maybe it’s legit:

Unless anyone speaks Burmese we might find this one difficult to properly unravel.

1 Like

Nobody’s dismissing social media, and those are the future of communication, if not society. If they aren’t already. It’s the infantalisation of the content that’s considered news which is the concern.

Realistically, in the not too distant future, real news will be paywalled and celebrity stuff will continue to be free and largely advertiser-driven.

4 Likes

I hope if any of you got involved you know what you’re doing.

I told you this was dangerous.

2 Likes

Surely that’s just people foolishly jumping (to late) on the bandwagon now, thinking they know what they’re doing because they watched three YouTube clips? Not the people that actually orchestrated it all, who would have knowledge of what they were doing. Two separate things.

5 Likes

If the hedge funds lost their billions I think the goal was achieved, what’s happening now is bandwagon fails .

2 Likes

Idiots looking for a get rich quick scheme.

General rule of thumb - if there’s information out there, good to assume everyone knows it and it’s priced in. If a trade has become a meme, it’s wayyy too late lol. Anyone just getting involved now is just being dumb.

Loads of people got scammed on crypto recently too, because they thought that this is literally how the markets work rather than a crazy one-time event. As if posting “HODL” on social media makes you Warren Buffet.

Good that people are getting interested though. DFV (the guy behind this) has a great YouTube channel and posts/livestreams his analysis on there. I just started following him after someone posted his Reddit history the other day. People who want to get involved should really give it a watch - it’s clear that he is super smart and doesn’t do this for the lols, he’s a fully fledged Securities Analyst and it shows… It takes a lot of work to do this right.

He also started buying GME like a year ago because he liked the stock, thought it was undervalued and saw an opportunity… The hedge fund shit came later.

3 Likes

The hedge funds borrowed enough money to cover it and so will be making it back now and will not go broke.

It’s not about jumping on it at the right point. If you don’t know what you’re doing you will wake up one morning and lose more than you had initially planned.

Again, i’m not saying leave it to the big boys, but there is no get rich quick scheme and if you don’t understand what you’re doing it’s a very dangerous game.

1 Like

Exactly and that’s dangerous as I said before.

A lot more ‘normal’ people lost money here than those that made any.

Hedge funds will not suffer, regular people will.

The news reports, radio phone ins and articles from end of last week that I went down the rabbit hole on were a mix of People willing to lose 50- 100 bucks just to stick it to the man, some got in early made a few hundred cashed in but put the original spend back on as they didn’t care about losing it and some were clueless bandwagoners.

3 Likes