In the news thread

Not far from real life quantum leap then?

Dunno about that, but quantum computing has lots of interesting applications. One of the most obvious ones is in improving our modelling of situations like climate change. We currently use past data sources to model prior conditions and then feed in current data to predict the future. Weā€™re actually pretty shit at it - as proven by the poor ability to predict tomorrowā€™s weather, let alone model the likely situation globally 100 years from now. Quantum computing will dramatically change that with the potential to run molecular level models in place of system models and much more.

Yeah thatā€™s possible. But if you follow some of the developments on the Google AI blog you can figure out where they are going with this. If they do manage to create a breakthrough quantum processor it will be a game changer.

Google AI blog here: https://ai.googleblog.com/

Nasty. I bet it wasnā€™t skateboard related.

Thatā€™s seriously close to me.
Scary shit.
This is the first Iā€™m seeing of it too.

Iā€™m surprised theyā€™ve been in business for as long as they have really.

I had flights booked them with on Wednesday for our 10 day hols to Fuerteventura. This is the first time in 8 years I havenā€™t booked this as a package holiday because weā€™ve stayed there so often I got a Riu loyalty card. Built up some points and got a better rate on the hotel and separate flights than a Tui package we usually go with.

Now, Iā€™ve had to re-book flights (going from Stansted as Gatwick has sold out) for Ā£1000. And Iā€™ll have to book airport parking at an extra Ā£100.

Say goodbye to our cheap out of season holiday!

I am sad for the thousands that lost their jobs too :frowning:

Ouch, thatā€™s a fucker alright.

I heard some woman talking on the radio over the weekend about her entire wedding package & party which she booked through Thomas Cook and was due to happen in Greece somewhere next Sunday. Seemed like sheā€™d be left high and dry by this.

A rival company will come in to save the day and get the good press.

I donā€™t think a rival company will be able to cope, Thomas Cook operated their own planes. The rival company would have to cover repatriating all the customers from all their routes. What the government is doing, chartering planes from other companies to cover them for their geographic regions, is probably the only viable option. Unless the government can give TC a spurt of cash to get their planes flying a few more days?

I mean like wedding parties, or grannyā€™s birthday, or the kidā€™s doctor appointment, that kind of thing. Not regular boring un-newsworthy people.

Duuuh, my bad :see_no_evil:

Difficult to say how much more could go wrong for Boris now.

1 Like

Big decision. See what Bercow does now.

apparetly he wants parliament to convene ASAP. going to be an interesting day

1 Like

Well that was quickā€¦
`

BREAKING: BORIS FOUGHT THE LAW AND THE LAW WON :man_judge::facepunch: pic.twitter.com/Id1sqcaYhn

ā€” PoliticsJOE (@PoliticsJOE_UK) September 24, 2019

`
2 Likes

Holy moses.

Amazing times. Boris is fucked now, surely