In the news thread

The joke could rally anti-gypsy sentiment or raise questions about why gypsies get such a raw deal. Could go both ways, it’s kind of ambivalent nastiness in that sense.

I would say there is a prevailing negative attitude towards gypsies in the UK and if you’ve ever been to the West Coast of Ireland it’s way worse. It’s definitely a trait in our society that is worth poking a stick at. Not sure Jimmy Carr is the right person to be doing it though.

I’ll just leave this here

…and I’ll just leave this next too it…

2 Likes

Interesting that it’s taking so long with Carr to get him 100% ‘cancelled’.

The joke isn’t a good joke IMO - there’s nothing to it other than reliance entirely on shock factor. The only layer to the joke is that travellers are the last ethnic group that it’s ok to joke about, so that’s why the joke exists.

I have personally never had a pleasant encounter with the travelling community, but I’d would still never think of making a joke like that.

I get it’s Carr’s schtick, but he’s been cleverer than this in the past. This just feels mean

Nobody goes on about being cancelled more than comedians, yet I can’t think of a single one who actually has been ‘cancelled’

3 Likes

There was that guy who made his pug do a nazi salute. Stretches the definition of comedian a bit though :smiley:

Julian Clary never quite recovered from his Norman Lamonte gag, and it seems Frankie Boyle has sort of self canceled.

Wasn’t Dave Chappelle cancelled? To be honest I’d rather not keep tabs on it all but it does seem like this is the latest one to run out of steam.

Frankie Boyle has a show on the BBC - New World Order … I think Julian Clary had a lot of anxiety issues for years and that didn’t help with all the fall out from his joke. Chappelle has to many fans to be cancelled, people will always pay to see him. Even Louis C.K is back gigging, right? Michael Richards (better know as Kramer from Seinfeld) pretty much fully focused his career with his anti-semitic rant at a stand up gig though.

3 Likes

Nah, his career is massive at the moment. When he starts doing pubs sets in dover he’ll be cancelled.

Louie C.K comes to mind, but from other controversy rather than through stage waffle.

I guess a lot of the time, comedian get another chance from their comedy pals or tv connections. Micheal Richards is a good example…

1 Like

Frankie isn’t doing the comedy he was though. Maybe he’s just grown up, but it feels kind of like he’s making up for his years of nastiness.

Louis CK is back gigging/getting specials etc but he’s nowhere near the level he was at and isn’t likely to get back to that position.

So he got some level of comeuppance for his actions but people can still go see him live if they wish, so he’s not really cancelled.

What was that low-rate British comedian that decided he wanted ‘tell the truth’ but his truth turned out to be massively racist?
Not so much cancelled but completely unbookable.

Tbh there’s quite a few British comedians who deserve to be cancelled - not because of their actions but because of their terrible act

Russell Howard comes to mind…

2 Likes

Can James Corden be cancelled please if we’re doing requests?

16 Likes

The nazi dog guy didn’t have anything to be cancelled from, no one knew who he was in the first place

If Frankie Boyle is doing less harsh material I’d imagine that’s because he realised that his OG style of comedy has become outdated and people will rightly speak up about certain things like they maybe wouldn’t have 10 years ago. I think that’s where Carr went wrong as he just came across massively out of touch in his latest stand up.

Dave Chappelle is one of the richest and most well known comedians in history. He can continue to get as much work and exposure as he wants. Lotta people confuse mass criticism and voting with their wallets with cancel culture

1 Like

was it Andrew Lawrence?

https://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/comedians-shows-cancelled-after-racist-24519179

Jim Davidson even though his career was over before he was the butt of that era’s joke.

That’s the one.