Injuries and treatment

Cheers guys. I guess just carrying on as per usual once I’d established I wasn’t concussed might not have helped things. I don’t have any other symptoms that would suggest I’ve damaged any organs although I have been keeping an eye on that just in case and I’ll get it checked out if I have any doubts. I figure it’s just that the bruising is really kicking in and I know ribs are notoriously difficult to do anything about. I’m fully aware that I have a high pain threshold and I’m prone to just getting on with it when really I should stop and admit defeat. I think this time I really did knock the crap out of myself if I’m honest. Sounds like It’d be wise to wait it out for a bit.

1 Like

Yes I either broke or badly bruised my ribs landing on flat bottom of a ramp from a big height.

The pain is like nothing else, a minor cough or splutter results in the worst pain and then it tightens and gets worse the more you suffer.

It gets better but I remember it feeling like ages.

Also, I skated the rest of the day a bit and then it took a while to set in as the bruising started to get worse a few days later.

Very weird injury that I wouldn’t wish on anyone.

1 Like

I imagine it’s going to feel as if there’s no improvement and that it’s never going to get better and then one day, sometime in the distant future, I’ll realise that the pain has pretty much gone. It’s going to be really gradual. Gradual and fucking annoying, haha (definitely not lol’ing as that hurts too much :wink:).

I ate shit and hit my ribs on the ground pretty hard with my arm all twisted on December 23rd. For 10 seconds I thought I’d broken some bones but then realized it wasn’t that bad. I somehow managed to keep on skating and learnt a trick I really wanted to learn. #rambo
The ride back home after that was weird, I was equally stoked and in pain. I suppose this can only make sense to skateboarders. My ribs hurt for 2 or 3 weeks after that but my arm still kinda hurts now. Not terribly but it feels weird while sleeping if I sleep on my stomach. There’s not much you can do about these things, just gotta be patient I suppose. I’m glad I didn’t have to go to the hospital with the pandemic.

1 Like

A couple of years ago I messed up a 50-50 in a skatepark on a metal driveway and landed on my left ribs. I’m sure I must have fractured/broke one. I carried on that day like it was a bruise or something. It took like 5 weeks to heal but I remember it hurting to laugh or cough. All I did was just not exert myself for a few weeks and it eventually healed.

1 Like

So I smashed some ribs skating meanwhile 2 in the dark. Hung up coming back into a quarter and couldn’t tell where the ground was. Like someone else said it didn’t feel like it was getting any better for weeks so I went to see a doctor (was actually going to see them for a referral to get my wrist x-ray’d but I had a small list of injuries to ask about)

The doctor felt around my chest and said it was bruised. She said there’s a few types of break/fracture - one where you just break or fracture some ribs the other where you break or fracture the stuff that holds your ribs in place completely in which case you can have like half your rubs just free floating in your body

Either way, the main issue is shards of bone floating around in your chest poking organs. If your pain is getting worse I’d wonder if you’ve done something like that. Might be worth going to see someone at least to get them prod it a bit

I realise at the moment you don’t want to be anywhere near a GP or hospital. I had a bad injury in the new year and decided to ride it out. Covid vs potential long term injury fall out I guess

1 Like

I’d go to hospital. I reckon they’ll take precautions so you don’t catch Covid.

1 Like

Ribs can be cunts!
Don’t even know how many years ago I did mine but they are still not right now. I posted about it on the old forum and i’m pretty sure Brewer and Gawk were there and posted about it too.
Basically I thought I was dead when I did it, I literally couldn’t breath for over minute, no breath at all, just me thinking my lungs were fucked, and it could be it, ha. Then all of a sudden I took a little breath and it soon all came back. It was pretty painful. Hospital said they couldn’t do anything and barely touched my back but the doctor said I broke some ribs, just chill. I let my missus check and she said it felt like I had no ribs, just a big squishy hole. So it might have been an extreme case but I wouldn’t trust any rib situation that people have. While Doctors probably won’t do anything, I wouldn’t take anything for granted. Just rest and don’t overdo it. In fact, I don’t know if there is any advice for ribs because I probably wouldn’t do anything different with mine and they’re still fucked.

3 Likes

I think I’ll give it another day and if there’s still no change at all then I’ll get some medical advice. There’s 111 of course but I’ve also got Bupa, Bennenden and Aviva cover where I can have an online GP one to one. They’ll probably say go to A&E and get X rayed. I figured anyone in the medical profession probably has bigger fish to fry at the moment and that my local hospital could do without me clogging up the system. It would probably be for the best to get it looked at though. Thanks all.

The issue with all of those private healthcare systems is that you still need the referral. Some things the NHS just does better as well. Having said that, I had a hernia repaired with Benenden and it was lush. 10/10 would recommend injury

3 Likes

Anyone else had a dodgy toe? I’m getting an ultrasound and blood test for mine right now. Got it from doing a hippy jump and just landing straight down onto my big toe. Its been over a year now and its been pestering me on and off. Hopefully it’ll get sorted out now, It’s not the first time I have gone to the doctor’s about it but they seem to be taking it a lot more seriously this time round. Just wondering if anyone else has a shared experience like this :upside_down_face:

this is just proof that hippy jumps suck

2 Likes

Get a chin up bar and use your own body weight to stretch your spine out; just hang on it at first, then start buiding up to doing some sets of chin ups to strengthen your back.

3 Likes

Chin ups are with the bicep - so palms facing inwards - and pull ups are with the hands facing out. There’s a world of difference in execution, form and end results! Pull-up bars are great though. I have one on the kitchen door, one of the best fitness purchases you can get, along with rings and kettlebells.

1 Like

I read that as kitchen floor at first, that would be the ultimate hack.

Sorry, you’re right Ciaran.
Pull up posistion - palms facing outwards, just hang there until you can’t anymore and you’ll feel your back release as you do it.

1 Like

I’ve been playing with a Nintendo ring on the switch since Christmas and I really think its helped me out. Its basically a pilates ring with some sensors on, but it gets you doing a good mix of stretching and exercises.

Well I think it’s good but I’ve only really experienced exercise through either skating or working. Ha.

Unless they’re done by Penny, Boulala or The Gonz.

1 Like

Yeah, stretching helped mine out loads. Pull up bar was the best thing for it, just strengthening it a bit helped, as well as doing sitting in a low squat to stretch arse muscles out every morning.

2 Likes

My knee and my ankle on my left leg (and a bit of my right ankle) definitely have some sort of injury and its (one of) the reasons I skate less and less every year, because they’re both so sore after skating it begins to be really off putting.

If I roll my ankle around it crunches like its filled with gravel. Every time I straighten my leg, my knee makes a popping sound – so literally every time I stand up from a sitting position. After skating my knee is really sore and during skating my ankle feels really weak and I’m going to claim is the reason I have no good flick anymore.

Not sure what the issue is or where to even start solving it as it doesn’t feel like it bothers me enough in real life to go to the doctors about it.