Instagram Blowouts

Fakie inward heel backtail bigspin out. :kissing_heart:

3 Likes

You are correct and its usually me being the pedantic trick-name guy, so i’ve let myself down there

1 Like

Most fake steeze?
a) Brent Atchley
b) Dylan Rieder (RIP)
c) Chris Pulman

I dont think Dylan could be accused of fake steeze, he was just stylin’ out. Austyn does similar too, lots of unnecessary carving etc. But it’s all about flow, rather than leg dangling or forced lazy arms.

Ben Nordberg was the king of fake steeze over here. Basically skated with his hands in his pockets for some reason.

2 Likes

Pullmans is after bang not fake steez.

2 Likes

Theres a difference between fake steez and after school modelling.

Landing a bit weird or your weight shifting and then styling it out a bit is totally fine if its a movement your body would naturally do (e.g Pullman).

Forcing your entire body to alter its natural flow and movement on the other hand is bad (e.g younger Felipe Gustavo).

2 Likes

There was a Euro (maybe?) dude a few years back who basically forced his entire body to move like Atchley, wrists, back foot always on the kick, the whole thing. That was bad

Ramblings re.Snurp’s point (sorry for derailing Instagram convo):

It’s interesting isn’t it, cos a lot of that extra carving, curving, stretched leg push etc is actually often just really fun to do. It feels nice + so justifies itself, but then when a camera is brought into play to capture tricks skaters sometimes either overemphasise or shy away from that stuff.

If they do less of it (get more “serious”) when filming it’s probably most often cos they’re focused on the tricks + also conserving energy. With lots of lines it’s like the trick is the “event”, and then the ride in / ride out stuff is “extra”/unnecessary/frivolous.

First exception to this which springs to my mind is Gonz (or maybe Tommy Guerrero when he was just bombing hills, carving etc). Like the whole of riding is the trick, with other (conventional) tricks exploding out of that flow like punctuation marks or surprising nouns in a phrase.

“So I was cruising down the street and ELEPHANT past the shops into TIC-TAC CARBONARA so see you later”

In aesthetic or musical terms maybe the mid line or before/after a trick gestural stuff amounts to a kind of “extended technique”, all of which adds to the skater’s unique style/personality on a board. I guess the Strobeck type of filming really places a lot of that before + after atmosphere on the same level of importance as the “trick” itself (sometimes to the detriment of our appreciation of the trick, which would classically be considered the central focus of a piece of footage)

Then there are folk who are super compelling to watch because they’re totally minimal and zenned-out between tricks (just cruising, no rush no worries), people who don’t even seem to register that tricks have happened (Tom Penny) and others who are wicked cos they’re so focused on the next trick it’s like they’re already aiming past it (John Cardiel).

ps. I’m not stoned, just having a wee brain wander.cheers! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Carving and speed checks/powerslides are great to watch if people are going fast, in the same way it’s great just watching snowboarders make big S tracks in powder (when filmed well). I think there’s a place for that in skating too.

Just as long as nobody pushes after doing a powerslide which is a cardinal sin.

1 Like

Thought experiment (could be total bollocks):

I guess one thing the Strobeck long-lens filming miiight do in terms of actually encouraging “affected” style is increase a skater’s self-consciousness by putting such an emphasis on coffee-table modelling “personality”.

Because of the zooming into a skater’s face before + after the trick, the focus is so much on individualism + personality (the face, the clothes etc) that it comes at the expense of capturing the full silhouette of the skater mid-trick (which was a classic way of communicating style).

Hard to be anonymous and let your skating do the talking when someone’s filming your set-up and post-trick reactions all the time. It’s compelling to watch, but in a more conventional emotional/filmic sense. Would being filmed and constantly presented in edits like that make a person more self-conscious?

Imagine if Strobeck had filmed all of Tom Penny’s 90s footage?
[other factors at play also, but there’s a mad anecdote about Penny seeing his own footage from a friends montage - maybe Welcome to Hell - and being stoked on the trick without even recognising himself!]

In general, self-consciousness causes blocks in natural physical flow because it makes a person both actor + observer (or judge) at the same time. Blocks can manifest in unnecessary muscle tension, or in falling into acquired/cultivated mannerisms which do not come across as totally natural to the outside eye.

Doubt if any of the Supreme lot actually give a fuck though cos they’re generally having fun and doing gnarly shit. There might be a wider trickle-down fake steez effect caused by this sort of stuff, but it’s all tied into social media self-presentation culture etc too.

Dunno if any of that makes any sense. Peace! :slight_smile:

Definitely seeing quite a lot of fake style on the gram caused by filming trends. The zoom in on face or zoom in on shoes before tricks means a lot of people are forcing their style or body posture because it’s now the focal point of a clip, often more-so than the trick.

It’s just a trend, it’ll go away, but still…

It’s a shame when you see people who are naturally great, but try and force fake steeze.
This guys older stuff is great, when he was more natural.

But I find his newer footage way too forced to enjoy.

Dylan did not have fake style.

Anyway, came to post this.

How many skaters do you think could realistically do this?

I’m gonna say 5 or 6 max.

2 Likes

Never got into Dylan and Austyn’s style. Looks so exaggerated to me. Brilliant skaters for sure but it’s too forced for my liking.

Nordberg may or may not be natural but it’s awful.

4 Likes

Absolutely.

Doubt it’s natural. I mean, you… naturally use your arms and hands to keep your balance, right?

Haha I knew who this was going to be before I clicked it

1 Like

who was it called Nordberg “March of the Penguins”? Had a right good chuckle at that one.

2 Likes

Just spent a few minutes going through Ribeiro’s insta. Holy fuck that dude is good.

1 Like

Lucas Puig trick, that could easily look stinking done by someone else.